PADI setting a double standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stimpy4242

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Recently I was looking through some information about certifying people with previous experience, but never certified and some other things and I found the following bit.

It says if someone is going to go from another agency to PADI advanced diver they need to have a minimum number of logged dives...

If they did there open water in the PADI system then there is no minimum....isn't that a double standard?

I personally think that all advanced open water divers should have some type of minimum dive requirement prior to certification...people will argue that the grammar of the title is correct...it just a step past open water since it is advanced open water...however we all know that the card carrying people love to call themselves an advanced diver because of that card despite the fact that it means they only have a total of 9 dives in their entire life.

What do you all think?

I suspect they are trying to give the impression that their training is better or more thorough than other agencies by stipulating rules like that.

I think it is to the divers advantage to further practice the basics in order to get a stronger grasp of the new activity. I have a feeling some people take AOW just to get a few more dives with an instructor there to hold their hand, however, I think if they are not yet ready to dive by themselves after OW than taking more classes would only task load an already nervous diver. I would imagine they would be better off doing guided dives or maybe paying for more class time if they feel they require it. Just my two cents.

It says if someone is going to go from another agency to PADI advanced diver they need to have a minimum number of logged dives...

Where do you see that?

PADI's web site says that the prerequisite for AOW is that you've got to be a "PADI Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)."

As far as whether a new diver should take AOW right after OWD, or wait until he/she has a number of dives under their belt, that's been debated extensively and, of course, inconclusively.

Pg. 20 of the 2010 PADI Instructor Manual, in regards to "Qualifying Certification Description" for certifications from other agencies:
"PADI Advanced Open Water Diver- proof of certification beyond entry-level (at least two certifications total); proof of 20 or more logged dives; documented experience in deep diving and underwater navigation."

I think the only people who know the reasoning behind this are the PADI lawyers.

Other agencies have had a minimum number of dives required to go advanced for awhile. Perhaps Padi is just taking a step in that direction but yes, it appears they're trying to make it sound as though they have better training. Every agency seems to feel they have the best program just like every instructor thinks that his method of teaching is best.

Pg. 20 of the 2010 PADI Instructor Manual, in regards to "Qualifying Certification Description" for certifications from other agencies:
"PADI Advanced Open Water Diver- proof of certification beyond entry-level (at least two certifications total); proof of 20 or more logged dives; documented experience in deep diving and underwater navigation."

Wait a minute. I'm not an instructor, and don't have access to the PADI Instructor Manual. But a quick Yahoo search shows site after site where that wording is used to describe the first prerequisite for the PADI Rescue Diver Course.

Just as a random example, see here:

Rescue Diver [...]

Pre-Requisites:
* Proof of PADI Advanced Diver Certification or equivalent level of training with other agencies. This is defined as proof of certification beyond entry level (at least two certifications total), with proof of 20 or more logged dives documenting experience in deep diving and underwater navigation.

That having been said, there is indeed a disconnect. Sticking with PADI, you could (theoretically) start the Rescue course with a total of nine dives -- four from OWD, and five from AOW.

But the OP said that was the prerequisite for AOW.

How can PADI know what your previous dive training covered? Without going through the standards of every dive agency they can't, so by including some practical experience as a prerequisite the particulars of what the previous training covered become less relevant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom