PADI Rescue Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As said before of all the courses you took before this one is worth the money. Also said before and true, Rescue will make you a more confident diver (in a good way) :wink:

The Rescue Diver course is perhaps the ONLY issue here on Scubaboard that doesn't lead to a heated debate and disagreement.

It's a great course...and provides you with critical skills for safety and enjoyment. IMHO, it is the first level at which a diver can possess the 'complete' array of underwater skills.

Take the course...and the training scenarios, seriously. Treat it as if it were real. IF the course provokes some adrenalin and stress, then it is preparing you effectively for a real situation.

When I took my class I was ready to crawl out of the pool and strangle my instructor but it was a job well done. Had he have not had me so stressed out it would not have been realistic...

...be prepared to really be stressed out if you get a good instructor but dont let it get you because its all about simulating a real life situation

What realistic real life diving situation were you realistically simulating in a swimming pool?

What realistic real life diving situation were you realistically simulating in a swimming pool?

The stress factor. You have an instructor yelling at you at the top of his lungs and barking out orders such as "Hes drowning hurry hurry what do you do next come on come on" along with the fact that a few of the other students screaming "Oh my god hes drowning" Between all of them I was lol stressed pretty well.

He was an awesome instructor though in the fact I have been in Many real life emergencies and every one of them is very stressing in the fact family and close friends will be yelling for you to do something.

I haven't taken this course yet, either. Just reading about it is giving me flashbacks to my Paramedic class. Even though it is almost impossible to induce the level of stress that a real emergency creates (I have tried with alot Paramedic of students), it sounds like this course comes pretty close. I believe it will be the next one I sign up for.

Your correct the induced stress brought on by simulation lacks the real stress of live or die. It is an awesome course though and very much dependent on the instructor. Make sure you get a good one and youll do fine. You dont do medicines and clinicals like paramedics class but you do some challenging in water excercises that will push you to the limits. youll love it if you loved paramedic school

I would echo what has already been said here. It is the best course that PADI offers. It will make you a more confident diver. Have fun and I hope you get a great instructor that will make the scenarios realistic.

I'll be taking the course in June while on vacation in Belize and am pretty stoked about it.

In preparation and to save some vacation time, I bought the RD Manual and DVD from my local PADI shop a couple of months ago. Apparently the course materials, listed on the PADI website as a "crew pak," now include a pocket mask, which I don't have but figure I can pick up at a local medical supply store. I should have the manual pretty well memorized by the time I get to Belize.

I also took the CPR class last month through my LDS and am hoping they'll offer the Emergency Oxygen class as well, although I think the latter isn't required for certification.

Should be fun!

As others have said, try to make the scenarios real. Get into the moment. Hopefully your with others that are willing to attempt to make it as "real" as possible. I found a few of the other individuals were a bit hesitant but once they saw others going all out it allowed them to get into the moment as well. I found that trying to give rescue breaths to a non-breathing diver while swimming them back to shore was very difficult. Learning technique was critical. Understanding the myriad of gear set ups that you needed to remove while swimming back to shore added some complexity. Doing the buddy check before you get in has other advantages!!! If it's a stranger that needs rescuing and you have to remove their gear it certainly became awkward trying to keep the rhythm of the breaths and removing clips and such. It was exhausting and exhilarating at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom