PADI Remove and Replace BCD Underwater for DMC's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am unsure whether to loosen the shoulder straps first or undo the chest strap first. I do not want to lose points for such a basic thing.

Anyone know what the PADI standard is? Thanks in advance!

No standard. Your instructor isn't going to give a rat's patoot what order you do them in. He's going to be watching to see how easy you made it look....

fdog:
I agree with muddiver, over the head is the easiest and least tangling way to doff and don a BC.

These kinds of comments often result from inexperience doing it other ways.... Over the head; over the shoulder.... these are minor differences.... In fact, in my experience, if you can hover worth a hamster's toss, then the easiest way to don/doff your BCD is to just slip out of it while hovering mid-water. It's *way* easier (assuming you're properly weighted) than anything you can do while pinned to the bottom. It's not how I teach it, but it's the easiest way I know to do it.

R..

I'm a PADI DMC, doing my skill evaluations in a couple of days. I apologize for not posting this in the "Going Pro" section, but I do not have access to that forum.

Normally I use my own gear. However, since I started my DMC class I've been using the free rental gear that my dive shop offers for use in the pool. The trouble I'm having is the chest strap. I normally dive with a SeaQuest Diva BC which does not have a chest strap, while the rental gear I use does.

So skill evaluations are in a couple of days for our class of DMC's. My question is pertaining to the chest strap for the PADI remove/replace BC skill (demonstration quality). Since I do not normally have a chest strap, I am unsure whether to loosen the shoulder straps first or undo the chest strap first. I do not want to lose points for such a basic thing. It's been a couple years since open water and my memory is bad.

Anyone know what the PADI standard is? Thanks in advance!

Since your only saying your from nor cal in your profile I will make an assumption your training in Sacramento at the same shop I teach out of perhaps?

Yes your own gear will make the skills easier, but the chlorine level in that particular pool will destroy your gear in very short order, (look at the condition of the pool gear) That is why we use the pool gear and not our own.
Now to answer your other question. the standard is to do it in demonstration quality. take it slow. exaggerate each individual step. IE: wide stance, empty air from bcd, reach up to your shoulders, touch the inside edge of the shoulder strap, move hands down shoulder strap until you feel the chest strap, unbuckle chest strap, move hands down to shoulder strap adjust buckles, loosen shoulder strap completely, move down to waist strap, unbuckle, open cumberbund, etc...

I'm sure Rick has gone over this in detail, don't fret it, just go over it in your mind, visualize demonstrating the skill before ever going underwater. you'll do fine. we were all nervous at first, but we made it. :D

Back
Top Bottom