PADI Remove and Replace BCD Underwater for DMC's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with boulderjohn, your instructor should be answering this question for you.

The two PADI LDS's that I've assisted with have very distinct ways they want to do the skills. If you're interested in getting the maximum performance points, it's best to follow your instructor's method.

I'm surprised that there is an evaluation without the instructor running you through the circuit himself/herself. Perhaps it's just a base line to demonstrate comfort in the water?

I could be wrong but I believe that PADI requires 20 dives to start DM class and 60 to complete it.

One of the skills we had to demonstrate in our DM course was to remove ALL gear (bcd, mask, fins, weight belt) and exchange with another DMC while both of us were on the bottom. This was graded on how smoothly the skill was performed, how comfortable the DMCs were in the water doing this and being able to complete the task without bolting to the surface of the pool. Needless to say, this took several attmpts to get it down and the SI had us switch off to complete with another DMC to do it after practicing with a different one. A real challenge when you consider how different each one of us was in body size and the different brands of gear we use.

We also had to do all 20 OW skills with "demonstration quality" one of which is the underwater removal and replacement of the bcd.

Shoot that was easy, we had to do it while buddy breathing and then swim from the deep end of the pool to the shallow end while still buddy breathing.

Shoot that was easy, we had to do it while buddy breathing and then swim from the deep end of the pool to the shallow end while still buddy breathing.

That skill does have to be done while buddy breathing, as you describe.

The skill the OP is asking about, I believe, is demonstrating BCD removal as you would for a student.

So skill evaluations are in a couple of days for our class of DMC's. My question is pertaining to the chest strap for the PADI remove/replace BC skill (demonstration quality). Since I do not normally have a chest strap, I am unsure whether to loosen the shoulder straps first or undo the chest strap first. I do not want to lose points for such a basic thing. It's been a couple years since open water and my memory is bad.

Since these are supposed to be demonstration-quality skills, I'm guessing that your instructor is looking for you to make it look easy and repeatable with maybe a little grace tossed in, and whether or not you take this strap or that strap off first probably isn't really high on his list.

However without trying to sound insulting, if your profile is correct and you have 0-24 dives and were certified a few years ago, I'd suggest doing a bunch more diving and really work on your skills, buoyancy and trim before even considering DM.

Terry

The gear exchange is part of the stress test side of a PADI DM course.
It is separate to the 20 skills and should be treated as such.
I agree with other posters that you should ask your Instructor, or better still get your hands on an Instructor Manual and look it up yourself. The Manual is also very helpful with the critical points in the skills for the Demonstration Quality test.

I did the DM skills test at least four times over a period of two months. Certainly passed each time but preferred to keep doing it until I was satisfied with the result, which in the end I was.

However you do the straps is not the issue. What is the issue is that you need to do it slowly and exaggerate every movement so that a new diver would CLEARLY see all of the "critical attributes" of the skill. If you can do it in less than a second without screwing it up may look cool but the new diver will learn nothing from it. My personal technique is chest strap first, waist buckle, loosen shoulder straps, cummerbund, left hand through, slide bc around to the right, and hold it front of me. I also demo both replacement methods- over the head( easiest) and back on like a jacket. Again this is done slowly and with emphasis on each movement where there may be an issue that could screw up a NEW diver such as the arm outside the second stage as was already noted.

I agree with JimLap - it's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Look at the performance requirement for the skill (from the OW manual), it will be something like "Completely remove and replace a scuba unit whilst underwater" (I don't have my instructor manual to hand, so can't be sure I've got the exact wording.

To "pass" the skill, that's what you have to do - it doesn't make a blind bit of difference what you do to acheive it, it's whether you acheive it.

Look at the scoring as well..... a 3 is "the Nike" (you've just done it). This is completing the skill at the standard we expect of an open water diver. As a DMT you should be aspiring to 4s and 5s. To get the higher marks, you have to slow it down, emphasise the critical attributes and make it look easy.

Saying that, some instructors will penalise you if you don't do it their way. I don't like that, but I can't change the world.

So skill evaluations are in a couple of days for our class of DMC's. My question is pertaining to the chest strap for the PADI remove/replace BC skill (demonstration quality). Since I do not normally have a chest strap, I am unsure whether to loosen the shoulder straps first or undo the chest strap first. ... Anyone know what the PADI standard is?
As others have noted, there isn't a specific standard for the sequence, but instructors have their individual preferences. I learned, and now teach, a sequence where unclipping the chest strap is the second step in doffing, and the next to the last step in donning. IOW, first step in removal is loosening the shoulder straps, then unclipping the chest strap, etc. When donning, I connect all clips (starting at the waist, and checking for hose entrapment as I proceed), and the final step - after reclipping the chest strap - is tightening the shoulder straps. The skill can be performed several different ways, as noted by different posters, all of which are 'correct', as long as the skill is performed in a reasonably slow, exaggerated, and fluid manner. The criteria for a score of 5 on any skill is, 'Exercise performed correctly, slowly and with exaggerated movement – appeared easy.' It will be best to ask the instructor what his/her sequence preference is, and perform it that way.
herman:
But, we did it so well, we made it look easy, didn't we buddy?

Since these are supposed to be demonstration-quality skills, I'm guessing that your instructor is looking for you to make it look easy and repeatable with maybe a little grace tossed in, and whether or not you take this strap or that strap off first probably isn't really high on his list.

Nicely put. As Instructors we know you can probably perform the skill competently; however it's another matter entirely to do it to "demonstration quality" where it's done slowly and broken down into components that the "student" can see & understand.

However without trying to sound insulting, if your profile is correct and you have 0-24 dives and were certified a few years ago, I'd suggest doing a bunch more diving and really work on your skills, buoyancy and trim before even considering DM.

Terry

The big emphasis here should be on Divemaster CANDIDATE: someone who is going through the learning curve.

Granted, 24 dives is also, IMHO, kind of on the "light" side to be going through DM training. However, one way to look at this is that this is a process that will take many months, if not years. So one could start training as a DMC at 25 dives and finally complete it at 100. It all depends on how quickly the individual learns & is able to perform the tasks given them to become a DM.(Minimum number of dives for completion depending whichever agency you are going through.)

Back
Top Bottom