PADI RDP Table Puzzling Question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XS-NRG, for the sake of the exercise, what is the profile of dive 1?

Um, there isn't one haha. But I'll create one right now for you: .........

80 ft for 25 mins. Finished as an "N" then sat for 15 mins making me a "K". Next would be 50 ft for 20 mins and would end as an "R".

I know that will work, does this work for you? Why do you ask?

That's not a controversy. That is either you didn't understand the table discussion, or your instructor didn't know how to explain the tables.

It sounds like the second is more likely.

I think during the class we all got it and the correct way was presented but once we got to the dive site all hell broke loose. We had to combine altitude diving into the mix and extra conversions screwed us up at the time. I really don't know what happened and how things got so confusing. I have no answer nor will I make excuses lol

Thanks Andy and Stewart!. That's what I figured. I've been making my own DIY log book as I altitude dive and there is no section on that to account for actual depth, cold water, theoretcial, and then even nitrox EAD after that. I've laid it out in such a way that info is together and co-relates to each section and one is an 02 NDL, and a N2 NDL (oxygen toxicity, and nitrogen no stop time) and then you can clearly see which is smaller for your max NDL. Now that I have my answer it will help me with this layout.

No worries. Also extra congrats for being the first SBer to figure out my first name from 'the wart'!

No worries. Also extra congrats for being the first SBer to figure out my first name from 'the wart'!

My observation skills are highly tuned lol :wink: :D

I am glad I am not the only one who has to think hard about tables !

I learn't on Russian Tables (written in Russian) so you have top remember what each column is !. Then started using some tables in French, different layout and format again. I went to the UK dive show in Birmingham last month and finally managed to buy some tables in English. I bought the PADI tables (one card, two sides), because they are straight forward and simple, and also the BSAC tables as I joined BSAC in order to cross train.

The BSAC tables are a book ! multiple tables, over multiple pages, covering different atmospheric pressures and seperate tables based on initial nitrogen loading for subsequent dives. The tables also go further than PADI ones and give data for deco dives if you have stretched your limits.

In order to stay sane I am going to select one set and stick to them. By the way - thanks DD for an excellent and well laid out explanation - regards Phil

I am glad XS-NRG got his/her answer clear and concise from other posts. May I just respectfully add that it really worries me that instructors got confused by such a simple issue?

I am glad XS-NRG got his/her answer clear and concise from other posts. May I just respectfully add that it really worries me that instructors got confused by such a simple issue?
Which instructors were those?

Beautiful post, Andy -- really a clear and simple explanation. Well done!

Dive tables are not bad when doing a flat profile. When doing a multi-level profile things get harder. Especially when one is constantly moving up. Pug had a neat way of doing it. I prefer my dive computer.

Which instructors were those?

I think Mangle might have been referring to my instructor. There was a lot of confusion from many people that day and too many people talking at once trying to figure it out. I'm not surprised the instructor got mixed up in that particular instance.

It's all in the past now though and the answer is now clear. It's funny I wrote this just after completing my Open Water and now I've just completed my AOW. I now only use tables as a backup in case my computer dies. I did a dive yesterday to 92 feet for 34-36 minutes running EANx32 set to 1.3 ATA max and according to tables I actually exceeded the tables limits so if my computer died I wouldn't have been able to continue. Luckily that did not happen.

Every dive I do now is a computer-multilevel dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom