*&^$ PADI PIC envelope!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve R:
While I entirely agree with your analysis of the Padi system as you see it, I think to help the OP here we should state whether they knew it or not, whether it's bogus treatment or not, this is how Padi operates with respect to their material.

There is a time limit on courses (kinda sorta, I'll let others expand here), also as stated PIC cards don't come with any manuals I've ever purchased, athough they may be included when paying for the course in most cases. These holograms are a new-ish thing and is still being worked out in some areas. They came about because it was pretty evident that books sales vs. PIC cards weren't lining up, which equalled revenue loss.

Divers at first do not know to ask the relevent questions, nor should they be expected to, I make the call that the instructors and shops should make it clear what is and is not included up front so there's no issues after the fact, or be prepared to eat it to keep the clientelle happy.

I agree with the OP about a certain amount of rigamarole with respect to padi classes, books, stickers etc. It's all about money, and only about the money. When somebody starts with the notion that this is no different than buying books for college or university, remind them that this is neither and isn't even close to such, and borrowing a copy, or sharing a copy is really all that is truly necessary at best, but understand this is not allowed by Padi because of the previous mentioned motives, and only because of these motives. BTW, how good would a 2-3 day university course be anyway? They cost real money because they are real courses (Well except for those basket weaving ones :D)

Just so you know, other agencies do not have all these annoying, some would say bogus rigamarole activities such as expensive books, RDP tables, wheels and sticker requirements, and you do have a choice in the matter. As far as required material is concerned, for given courses across the board, I haven't seen much more expensive stuff than Padi's. (As well as mere quantity of material required, which only serves to increase the fees paid to padi even more.) I think you're starting to get the larger picture here.

Well Said Steve !!!! PADI....... Put Another Dollar In!! LOL.... Yup I am Through PADI.

Waahhhh??? Call me silly, but I have never heard of this hologram deal. The courses I've completed in the US, my instructor didn't care where I bought the book as I brought it to the knowledge review/dive site anyway. The only way I can see a hologram being needed or something is if you weren't planning on taking your whole book with you. Even in Japan, the Rule Following Capital of the World, the shop made a cursory glance at my reviews and photocopied them, without being bothered that I didn't purchase my book from there...

RoatanMan:
So, at some point or the other, the hologram sticker (a proof of purchase device that you bought) disappeared. Is that what you are saying?

No, that's NOT correct. There was never a hologram sticker in the first place. We were told by one person at PADI this is some sort of "caribbean only" thing and that course materials sold in the US don't come with the hologram sticker in the first place. Another person at PADI said it's a new thing instituted between the time we bought the materials and now. Neither one makes much sense to me.

akscubainst:
It's my understanding that the only crew paks with stickers are those sold by PADI Central America?? I know that PADI US crew paks don't come with them. Why doesn't the Instructor in Coz do the Pic online?

Good question. I have no idea, but I'll ask why it couldn't be done online.

Just to be clear, I'm really not agency-bashing. It's just that all my training was with other agencies (more than one) and I've never really understood PADI policies very well. My biggest concern is that if the instructor we planned to use in Cozumel hadn't happened to mention that we should "make sure to bring the hologram sticker" with us, we'd never have known that we needed to bring a pic envelope down with us. (I also have no clue why he couldn't provide one for us.) In my opinion, as a non-PADI person, the requirements should be clear and unambiguous, and it should not be the responsibility of the student to know the administrative procedures of the agency.

For clarity, there isn't really a referral situation here as I understand it. As far as I can tell, PADI's AOW certification is based entirely on collecting 5 "Adventure Dives," 2 of which must be navigation and deep diving. I can't find any requirement that they be done in one place or with one instructor.

Based on some of the postings above, I plan to take with us the receipt for the "crew pack" with us when we go. The more I think about it, the more I wonder why people at PADI sugested we obtain and take a pic envelope, since surely the instructor there will have one. Perhaps they're different when obtained in the US.

Couldn't all this crap be avoided if when you purchased your crew pack you were then registered with the money grabber and a student # assigned for the course your in. Complete it any where.....Instructor sends in your documentation with your # done deal.

Pics, secret holograms ***...get with the program money grubbers............if its all electronic you even save the postage etc...

Well here in Thailand I first of all wanted a german AOW book (but ended anyway with an english one) to prepare myself perfect before going somewhere on holidays for diving. I always learn everything perfectly before.
Got the book from a Dive Center, in english but no problem, went on two holidays and the DC told me I must buy the book again because the red envelope is not inside. Without envelope no certificate. One told me he can only the envelope but not many because if he make many times PADI is asking why.
One explanation was also that else I could use the book from my brother or wife and husband can use just one book (couldn't understand why that should be so evil).
Luckily in Chumphon one instructor told me he has one spare and used that without charging me.

Nowhere is there any mention of an instructor being involved prior to the trip to Coz. If there was, I'm confused, as was already mentioned by someone else, why this couldn't just be handled as a normal referral, and the awkwardness of all the other peripheral issues be eliminated.

The first post said, "Since then he's done an "adventure dive" or two" ... was this with an instructor?

The Horn, you've got the easy, perfect solution.

I originally posted a rebuttal to some of the bashing, but after some consideration it's just so much easier to add those who are self appointed gods of instruction to the ignore list - and that makes sb a brighter place to visit

Cheers

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom