PADI OW in Malta [Recommendations]?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So_Spotty

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi Guys,

I'm new here and new to the Scuba world.

I am looking into doing the PADI open water course in Malta. After doing some research, I have discovered that there are an insane number of dive centres in Malta and Gozo, many with excellent reviews, it is not easy to pick one. I was hoping to maybe get some recommendations from you guys in the know?

I'd like somewhere that doesn't rush you through the course, and gives you lots of time and encouragement to ensure success (more days opposed to fast track). Somewhere that offers the theory in the online format, has good equipment, and is friendly, professional, safe and welcoming.

Thanks
SS

hi,
i don't know about their courses as i didn't do mine their but when i went to Gozo i used bubbles dive center and they were really great. helpful, friendly and really well run. might be worth looking into

I dive with Buddies in Bugibba when I visit, and I can highly recommend them. You will find all their instructors friendly and patient, and more importantly, competent.

The online learning element shouldn't be a problem (I think you can do that anywhere). If you need more time, it may mean more money, but that will be the case anywhere. Whatever your requirements, I'm sure they will accommodate you.

Diving in Malta | Scuba Diving Malta | PADI Courses Malta | Malta Dive Centre | Buddies Malta

Keep in mind that in Malta most – if not all – dives are shore dives. There is little, if at all, boat diving. In high season it gets too much crowded for the Mediterranean standards, in fact in popular sites there can be as many as 50 divers in the water from different dive shops. Also, confined water training usually takes place in the same dive spots and not in the pool, and depending on the instructor, there can be some pressure to get done with the required drills and go “diving”. It will not be easy to book a specific instructor, you will get one assigned depending on the availability, so some luck is required. An important thing to consider is that it is not uncommon to have mixed groups of students and certified divers in the same dive. Time is also a concern, as punctuality is not strictly enforced and significant delays may occur due to having to drive to the dive spot and the traffic in some parts of the island. To give you an idea, for a two-tank dive I had booked, they picked me up from the hotel at 7am and got me back at 6pm. Generally, scuba diving in Malta has evolved in a tourist attraction/industry/source of income. If I were you, I would definitely opt for an off-season booking (despite the colder water) and I would enquire very carefully about the above points. Gozo might be somewhat better in comparison to Malta. As a side note, some people are heavily tempted by Malta’s night life (with plenty of alcohol, flirting and late nights) and find it difficult to abstain before diving the next day.

I would suggest you want a dive centre local to where you are staying. Do you already have a holiday booked?

One other point to remember is that you can do 'referrals' with PADI, where theory and sheltered water (pool) is completed in one place, then the open water dives completed elsewhere. So you could complete the first part at home, prior to your holiday. Allowing you to do some 'diving' as part of your holiday as well as completing the course during your holiday.

The two places I would recommend are Calypso in Marsalforn, Gozo. (English, German, French language). Divemed, in Marsalforn (Zonor Point).

As others have said, Malta is mainly shore diving. Although, for an OW course it would be unusual to do the course dives from a boat anyway.

Gareth

So_Spotty,

May I ask why you are limiting yourself to padi? The description of the course you are seeking generally doesn't match what padi offers ...

For diving in Malta it’s also good if you have diving insurance that covers being arrested by the police and criminally charged if a diving mishap occurs to someone else in your group.
Malta Extradition

For diving in Malta it’s also good if you have diving insurance that covers being arrested by the police and criminally charged if a diving mishap occurs to someone else in your group.
Malta Extradition

Kevin

To an extent I agree. You should really have a proper diving insurance package if travelling and diving.
DAN (as one example of many) include both legal cover and medical cover.

In truth, its the medical cover that is probably more likely to be used than the legal cover. Hyperbaric treatment, and subsequent repatriation is expensive and very unlikely to be covered by normal 'holiday insurance'. The Maltese case is almost the exception that proves the rule.

Also, in the case of the OP, they are asking to learn to dive. The likelyhood of them requiring legal protection in the case of a diving accident is low.
1. They will be under the supervision of a diving instructor.
2. They have no expertise in diving (being a new student), and have limited knowledge or expertise.
3. They will be contracting a diving school to supervise and advise safe sites, conditions and practices.
4. In the case of Malta, I would expect there to be some very searching questions asked, prior to any intent to propose another prosecution. The case mentioned was foolish in the extreme and appeared to be an act of political points scoring within Malta. Almost all external experts, and even those with limited diving knowledge thought the case foolish in the extreme with no case to answer. (As it proved - unfortunately Stephen went through a very harrowing and distressing experience). The damage it did to the Maltese tourist industry was significant. Thus doesn't negate the advantages of having insurance to cover the expenses of defending a spurious malicious prosecution.

Note - a lot of Countries have the Napoleonic approach to law - you are guilty until proven innocent. As against the British structure - you are innocent until proven guilty.

Gareth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom