PADI or RAID for advanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, which did you pick? I’m looking at doing the RAID advanced 35 soon in Melbourne and have a similar dive history to you.

So, which did you pick? I’m looking at doing the RAID advanced 35 soon in Melbourne and have a similar dive history to you.

Do the RAID course! I was a PADI instructor (currently inactive with them) and am a current RAID instructor. The courses are night and day, especially when it comes to the elearning. The RAID course is more in-depth and will make you a more confident and safer diver IMO. The PADI course, while it works well around the world, is more of tiny morsels of other courses that don't really tie into together.

The Rescue dive with RAID is worth it alone plus you get two deep dives that eases you towards the certification depth of 35m.

I do have to admit, I have fully consumed every last ounce of the RAID Kool-Aid. I am RAID through and through. I promote them every chance I get, was featured on their IG and FB for #MeetTheTeamTuesday where I spoke about myself and my dive center and I also have a pair of orange Deep 6 fins that say RAID on them. The agency just makes sense for me starting with open water through tech, CCR and Cave. I am no need of another agency.

I'm not a RAID instructor (though am looking at opening a RAID dive center in the future). I would strongly advise going with RAID due to a higher quality curriculum.

Hi all,

I did a thread search but couldn't find anything, though I'm sure it's been asked on here before (this might be the wrong sub).

I did my PADI OW a few years back, have about 35 dives under my belt, I figure now's a good time to get my advanced (I'm actually glad I didn't do the 'advanced immediately after open' thing that so many shops push....).

Looking around at local courses, there's PADI OW, typically for about $500-$550 (AUD), so I know how that looks - 3 shores dives, 2 boat dives, including mandatory nav/deep and 3 electives, usually peak performance buoyancy and 2 others

I noticed RAID Advanced 35, which seems to have 6 dives plus a pool session - although it's up to $750-800

So - yes, I know people could argue the relative benefits of different agencies until the cows come home so this is probably a risky question - but is the additional RAID time worth the difference? It looks like a more comprehensive course - is it worth doing this over PADI? It is significantly more expensive, but if it's justifiable then I can do that. If it leaves me with more solid training and skills than the PADI would, then that can only help me. If it helps, I'm not entirely convinced that my OW provider was very good :p
As others have suggested, getting the right instructor is more important than the agency. I thought the idea of RainPilot's idea of meeting with potential instructors beforehand to discuss content, attitude and style was great. BTW, teaching skills while kneeling is a massive red flag. I know PADI does this but am not sure if PADI instructors are required to teach that way. One should always be trying to perfect trim. Teaching skills while in trim is just walking and chewing gum. Even more important than either the instructor or the agency, however, is your commitment to practicing your skills post course. Any course, whether AOW or Full Cave, is just an introduction. What you do afterward is what matters.

BTW, teaching skills while kneeling is a massive red flag. I know PADI does this but am not sure if PADI instructors are required to teach that way.
PADI recommends NOT doing this. Some instructors are stuck in the past, however.

One should always be trying to perfect trim. Teaching skills while in trim is just walking and chewing gum.
RAID actually provides materials to their instructors (actually everyone as anyone can download it from their site) and they require exactly this. This is where agency matters. That way Forrest Gump doesn't have to treat scuba instruction like a box of chocolates.

but is the additional RAID time worth the difference?
In Australia - RAID is a certified training organisation so the diving cert is registered as vocational style training with the USI registry, (like your first aid/CPR certificate). I don't know if the Advanced course is a registerable course but you can ask the dive shop. To the best of my knowledge you cannot do this for PADI and/or SSI.

Personally I don't think it matters whether you go PADI/SSI/SDI or RAID go with the one that is most convenient for you.

Back
Top Bottom