PADI open water but got NAUI card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw:
I think it's funny that PADI takes so much flak and then in the end this NAUI instructor uses all the PADI materials to issue the NAUI card. This is not the first time I have heard of a NAUI instructor issuing a card based on PADI materials. I routinely sell PADI rescue manuals to NAUI instructors for their classes from the local college. I used to DM for a dive shop ( now out of business) that would use PADI materials and issue an SDI card. Hard to see what all the fuss is about on the PADI -NAUI controversy and how passionate some are to bash PADI and then they use their materials! LOL. Awesome. I can say that I have never heard of a PADI card being issued to a diver using NAUI or SDI materials. I am sure it has happened and I am betting someone is getting ready to post a thread about that i might have missed.

I agree 110%. I know of 2 NAUI Course Directors who chose to utilize the PADI student manuals instead of the NAUI ones since they are not written very well. This says a lot about NAUI's materials. IMHO, PADI's books are far superior and appear to have been written by a professional educator.

dl348:
I agree 110%. I know of 2 NAUI Course Directors who chose to utilize the PADI student manuals instead of the NAUI ones since they are not written very well. This says a lot about NAUI's materials. IMHO, PADI's books are far superior and appear to have been written by a professional educator.

who cares if a NAUI instr. uses non NAUI materials(NAUI doesn't), the problem is the cust being told one thing and getting another.

As far as your assertion above I wonder if they are actually active CD's?

Debraw:
I think it's funny that PADI takes so much flak and then in the end this NAUI instructor uses all the PADI materials to issue the NAUI card. This is not the first time I have heard of a NAUI instructor issuing a card based on PADI materials. I routinely sell PADI rescue manuals to NAUI instructors for their classes from the local college. I used to DM for a dive shop ( now out of business) that would use PADI materials and issue an SDI card. Hard to see what all the fuss is about on the PADI -NAUI controversy and how passionate some are to bash PADI and then they use their materials! LOL. Awesome. I can say that I have never heard of a PADI card being issued to a diver using NAUI or SDI materials. I am sure it has happened and I am betting someone is getting ready to post a thread about that i might have missed.

Cerich, YES they are active course directors.

This thread should really be moved to whine and cheese. The diver got a course of instruction and a c-card. Now stop bellyaching and go diving!

As others have said before, I'll confirm that as a NAUI instructor I am free to use PADI's books so long as I cover NAUI's required material.

The only occasions where this has been an issue is when I have had students who signed up at a PADI shop and for whatever reason ended up with us to finish their class. Rather than have them start over with the NAUI manual I just have them finish their PADI textbook.

I can even use the PADI exam so long as I verify their knowledge of all material that NAUI requires. This is well within NAUI's training requirements.

I cannot however teach a PADI class and issue NAUI certification. There are some skills which NAUI requires at the open water diver level that PADI teaches later (specifically buddy rescue).

It sounds like a PADI shop employed a NAUI instructor to teach a class. From a customer service perspective this should have all been explained to the customer.

Assuming this was not explained, the customer certainly has a right to request PADI certification, HOWEVER they would need to re-do the dives under the supervision of the issuing PADI instructor (think of it as a referral from the NAUI instructor to the PADI instructor). Obviously the customer should not be charged for this from a customer service perspective since the shop wasn't up front with them.

My advice - realize that you took a NAUI course with PADI training material and probably got the best of both worlds (great manuals along with additional life saving skills). Go dive and enjoy :)

Well if I test drove a Ford Pickup and then went into a dealership and bought it, signed the paperwork, wrote the check, etc and they brought me Chevy pickup truck, I'd be concerned they were trying to pull something on me.

They are both pickup trucks, but it wasn't what I ordered and paid for. I don't think i'd be happy with them doing that.

you should definately go talk to the shop owner.

This has nothing to do with whether PADI or NAUI is better than one or the other.

But would you make a hubaloo out of it if they delivered a Lamborghini to you? Its not even a Ford or a truck... but I dont think I would complain :p

nlNPI.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom