PADI open water but got NAUI card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

solidgas

Reaction score
In May I completed my PADI open water course, and did the PADI test with the PADI manual. Yesterday, I went to pick-up my diver card and they handed me a NAUI card.

I signed up for a PADI course, I am sure, and when I asked the guy behind the counter he said my instructor was a NUAI instructor. I didn't have time to discuss my concerns because I was running late and had to leave, but I signed up for a PADI open water course, and was fully expecting to get a PADI certification.

He assured me there is no difference and that it really doesn't matter what certification you get. I don't know if I should be mad or not.

Is there a difference between PADI and NAUI?
Will I be able to take specialized courses, adventure courses?
Is NAUI as accepted as PADI and will I be able to book dive in most places?
:confused:

You know what they say about opinions, right?
FWIW, in my opinion, your NAUI card is worth 1.16764 PADI cards.
E :)

Who was the guy behind the counter? Is this where an LDS hires inturctors to condut the traning? If you studied PADI and took the PADI test, I think they should have you certified with PADI. If he was going to train you Padi but certify you NAUI, this should have been discussed beforethe class. I really dont think that one is any better than the other. I also believe both are know worldwide so you shouldnt have any problems.

A NAUI class would have basic rescue techniques (including recovering an unconscious diver from depth) as part of the pool and open water sessions as well as questions about conducting a rescue on the exam. A PADI OW class does not provide this information (it's in their rescue class). If you passed a NAUI exam you should have a NAUI card; I know NAUI instructors can add information to exams but I don't think NAUI instructors can use PADI exams in place of the NAUI exam since it doesn't cover everything the NAUI exam does. (I don't have my standards here at work to check though)
Both certifications are accepted worldwide and you can go on to take classes with any agency you wish.
Ber :lilbunny:

As I think on this more, dont instuctors have to send paper work to the agency before they issue a card? How could NAUI issue a card if everything was done PADI?

Thanks RJTY,

That's what I figured, I had all the PADI materials, and was expecting a PADI card. I was surprised to see a NAUI card. I just thought they should have told me upfront so I could at least do my own research on the two organizations.

I had heard of PADI alot and all my friend are PADI. As long as I am able to dive I really don't care what organization I belong to. They just should of told me.

Ber Rabbit,

He did go over some rescue stuff, and made us take off all our equipment underwater, including weights, and then go back down and put it all on underwater. I found that challenging, but was able to do it on my second try. We did this in the pool of course. But it wasn't in the PADI book.

I'd talk to the owner of the shop and see what they have to say about this. You'll likely hear something about NAUI being superior to PADI because of the rescue content, but the point was you were told you'd get one thing and instead got another.

solidgas:
Ber Rabbit,

He did go over some rescue stuff, and made us take off all our equipment underwater, including weights, and then go back down and put it all on underwater. I found that challenging, but was able to do it on my second try. We did this in the pool of course. But it wasn't in the PADI book.

Rescue information/procedures would not be in the PADI book because they don't teach that in their OW class. It is in the NAUI book though and on the exam, do you remember a section of the test with a title "Skills and Rescue"? If that was on there then you took the NAUI test.

I agree you should have been told up front although there is a chance that something came up and the PADI instructor couldn't teach at the last minute; the NAUI instructor could have been an emergency fill-in. Even if that were the case they still should have told you there had been an organization switch and given you an opportunity to take the class at another time if you wanted to stick with PADI.

You'll be fine to continue your training with whatever organization (or organizations) you choose so all's well that ends well. Lesson learned: The first night of class ask the instructor what agency they certify under, heck just for good measure ask to see their instructor card and check the expiration date to make sure they are qualified to teach your class and they are "current" in their teaching status. Instructor certifications must be renewed annually with NAUI, I believe the other organizations are the same.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom