PADI open water but got NAUI card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAUI is recognized everywhere around the world....if they don't recognize your CCARD its because they trying to rip you off.

I don't know about the NAUI, I did my NAUI in 74 before the additonal ratings, so the course had a lot more in it.

All basic open water courses teach basically the same thing. It is common for a shop to teach a course and then offer to sell addtional cards in the other agencies they teach.

Someone in the shop should not have a problem issuing a PADI card, they don't cost much, usually less then $10, the shop may sell it for $25.

NAUI is a good agency, you will not have a problem going further with any other.

I was with PADI from 86 - 99.

You can go to a PADI shop now and sign up for advanced course. If you came to me or many others , they would tell you to go away until you have logged 20 dives.

As I see it its a matter of principle. If you signed up for a PADI course and didn't get a PADI card then there is something wrong if you were never told that you would get a NAUI card. You should have been given the option. Its your course and your money and you didn't get what you signed up for...plain and simple. This makes it hard to trust that the LDS who did this is really looking out for you. I know it doesn't inspire confidence. They should have told you up front when they knew you would not get the PADI card that you had the option of waiting to take another class to get the PADI card or to continue to take the class and receive the NAUI card. It truely was your option and your choice not theirs to make. That being said, I agree there isn't a major difference between C Cards and that your card just represents the level of certification you just completed. NAUI, PADI, SSI are great and well respected. I would ask for an explaination as to what happened and why you signed up for one class and agency and got a certification card from a different agency.

Most of the time (Caribbean) they won't even ask to see your card. It would seem that you have obtained a NADI or a PAUI card. LOL. Somewhere down the line you could always ask for a PADI experiended diver C-Card. Neither agency will be happy about this. Standards apply to both agencies.

Was a PADI instructor involved at all? No referral possibility? Were the PADI knowledge reviews and quizzes completed and placed in your student folder? The big thing is do you feel qualifed to dive? The question for the agencies is that of legaleze.....accountability. If you feel there are standards violations you should report it to BOTH agencies. Enjoy your diving. It ain't your fault!

Regards,

It's purely a customer service issue. Both NAUI and PADI are accepted worldwide, and both organizations offer great education. There are other organizations that are just as good even if they don't have as much market share. I'd only be upset at being mislead.

I signed for a PADI course and the card I got says SDI. So I think this problem is common. Then again, since there's a lot of padiphobia going around, specially in other websites, I'm glad my card says SDI. My training was excellent to.

I have had excellent instruction and I couldn't care less if my cards say PADI, NAUI, SDI, SSI, or whatever. I don't want to waste my time having a pissing match over which agency is "better" because I don't believe the agency matters at all. What matters is finding excellent instructors and mentors to help you become a better and safer diver. I've been blessed to find both.

Just my opinion.

I have Padi,Naui,YMCA,PDIC,TDI cards , I don't think it matters which agency issues the card.

Thats just my opinion.

The agency may not matter, but does it make sense to be mislead by a shop? That would make me never go to the shop again because it would create distrust. As far as the instruction, I'm in agreement that the agencies aren't that important. It's the instruction that counts.

K9trnr:
The agency may not matter, but does it make sense to be mislead by a shop? That would make me never go to the shop again because it would create distrust. As far as the instruction, I'm in agreement that the agencies aren't that important. It's the instruction that counts.

Oh, I agree 100% about the shop's ethics. I'd report them to both NAUI and PADI and never go there again.

The agency bashing just gets old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom