PADI O/W no tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm doing classroom and was specifically told that i wont be taught tables "we only teach computers" I was also given a pass code to a PADI computer simulator.

So if you do a formal class room the tables are part of the curriculum if you do elearning the tables are like the last 4 questions on the quick review. So

I'm doing classroom and was specifically told that i wont be taught tables "we only teach computers" I was also given a pass code to a PADI computer simulator.
eRPDML?

Tables do not teach you a thing about on and off gassing.
Respectfully disagree but correct me please; When you go from H diver to A diver, have you not off gassed some nitrogen?
Thanks.

Respectfully disagree but correct me please; When you go from H diver to A diver, have you not off gassed some nitrogen?
Thanks.
You do, but the tables don't teach you that. All you know from the table is that you went from one letter to another.

The instructor explains the deco theory separately and explains that the table is tracking that. The instructor can also explain the same deco theory separately and explain how a computer tracks it.

No.

It is a computer simulator that shows how a generic computer tracks nitrogen loading (etc.) during a dive. It shows all sorts of dive situations and how a computer handles them.

That’s why I laugh when I hear people say they like to use tables along side computers as a backup. The only practical (or perfect) backup to a computer is another identical computer. Even different computers with different algorithms sometimes don’t jive.
For the past few months, when people have been making the familiar argument that tables can be used as a backup in case a computer fails, I have given them first dives from recent recreational dive trip and asked them to plan the second dive. They can never do it. If you are doing any kind of multi-level dive with a computer, it is extremely likely that the dive you did was off the tables. If the dive you did was off the tables, then you cannot use it as a backup.

Might be opening a can of worms here, but I'll say it anyway.
Dive tables should go away completely and nobody should be bothered. A simple computer is cheap, and will give you far more accurate real world info
There was a thread about this topic a short while ago Place of dive tables in modern diving

The most interesting thing I learned was that there are people who think basic deco theory and tables to be the same thing. So when you say "stop teaching tables" they hear "stop teaching basic deco theory".

the PADI OW course can be taught with tables, the eRDPml, and computer. Many shops/instructors choose to standardize on one method. That said, they all should be conversant with all methods. You should be able to get a private classroom session on tables if you want - but be prepared to pay for it.

OK,,mixed emotions here! When I did my certification, my take on the tables was to impress the need for caution on dives, both singular and multiple. And show what is happening with your body. It sorta drove home the need to watch out when doing multiple dives at recreational levels. Example being the time between dives vs just jumping back in. Also gave some guidelines regarding depth vs time, and at the entry level was informative. Were they the answer to all dives,,, No,, HOWEVER,,,,,,I may be the exception and did a thorough investigation into the theory and application of tables and their conception. I still know how to use them and apply them but also dive with two identical computers for a little safety factor that I trust more than just the tables. Just my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom