PADI not teaching theory re/EANx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I the only one who keeps a photo of the Nitrox table on my phone - not the dive planning tables, but the one for finding MOD, etc.? First of all, I’m diving locally and getting my own tanks filled at the shop. No surprises on the boat. I either dive 32% or 28%.
I use my phone calculator: 1.4 / 0.32 give you the ATA. I know the MOD for common mixes like 0.32 or 0.28 though.

I guess it’s a bit easier in metric.

@CuriousRambler, one thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the difference in mentality between Recreational diving and Technical diving. The Nitrox course you are taking was designed as a recreational course focused on recreational diving. As such, the goal is to reduce barriers to entry while teaching you what you'll need to know about MODs, using your computer, PO2s, etc. Concepts such as EAD and END are great but, largely, are considered irrelevant in recreational diving. As you get into technical diving, these concepts are absolutely significant. I absolutely get that you are wanting more, I'm just trying to say that the course you are taking isn't really focused or designed with the intent to do that. (Plenty of instructors, myself included, will be happy to geek out with you and dive into more advanced concepts, that's just not within the design intent of the course.)

If you're looking for a course that goes where you're looking to go with this information, the PADI TecRec program will take you there for sure...especially as you get into Tec45. TDI also has an Advanced Nitrox course that goes into this kind of stuff as well.

If you are just looking to gain knowledge and aren't worried about the cert, some of the books that have already been mentioned are great along with studying other technical concepts such as Gradient Factors, Deco Theory, etc. You can do that on your own or I'm guessing you could find an instructor that would be willing to go "off script" and dive deep into deco theory with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom