PADI MSDT free internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matjazr

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
hi...does anybody know for option MSDT internship for exchange for work for some term?

I don't understand your question... Are you looking to do the MSDT prep course for free in exchange of working for a shop?

yes....you are right :wink:

hi...does anybody know for option MSDT internship for exchange for work for some term?

I too am a little puzzled by your question.

From the PADI Course Director Manual about earning an MSDT:
To become a Master Scuba Diver Trainer:
You must be a PADI Instructor.
You must hold at least five PADI Specialty Instructor certifications.
And, you also must have issued at least 25 PADI Diver certifications.
Taking Specialty Instructor Training courses from a Course Director can help you quickly earn the five required (and perhaps many more) Specialty Instructor ratings.
Remember that you only need to document 10 dives of specialty experience versus 20 dives to apply directly for each Specialty Instructor rating.
Once you have your Specialty Instructor ratings, then you need to teach to get the required 25 PADI Diver certifications. Keep in mind that you can take five divers and certify them in five specialties each to reach the 25 certifications.

There's really no "MSDT internship".

yes...i know what you mean....maybe we dont understan....to explain my question...something like this: Master Scuba Diver Trainer Internship, PADI MSDT

Again, there is no such thing as a PADI MSDT Internship. Since there is no mention of you getting PAID, this would seem a way to get an Instructor to work for FREE.

Also, they make no mention of working with a Course Director, who is the only one who can sign off on any Instructor-level courses if you want to go "the fast route" to MSDT.

An IDCS can only ASSIST in teaching Specialties, h/s cannot teach them or give you credit for any Specialties you want to achieve. So if your goal is to do the 20 dives in that Specialty & apply on your own, that may be feasible in the scenario they are talking about.

However, if it's you doing your own 20 dives to apply for your Specialties, I don't know how useful going all the way there would be if you aren't getting paid. You may as well do that @ home.

FWIW,

Last edited:
Following my IDCs on Koh Phi Phi, we offer our candidates the chance to work, with full pay, as an instructor for a month. This gives them a chance to earn some certifications and get some real-life experience of working as an instructor. Specialty Instructor training can also be taken, but we charge for these courses. If you ant more info, please PM me...

I think I understand his question.

He's probably looking for somewhere where he can assist and get final sign off on the required number of certs in order to accelerate getting his MSDT rating.

I also know that some course directors give package deals on the specialty training... or at least that was common when I became and instructor.

These two things together could be what he's wording and "internship" given that English is probably not his first language.

R..

I very much agree with Diver0001 - because I've seen people get exactly that!

Most companies that offer "MSDT internships" will usually charge money for it, but I know people who've been offered the require MSDT dives and/or training at cost price because they're proving to be valuable members of staff and it is in the company's interest to expand their training capabilities. They pay for required materials and the certification fee, but otherwise the training and/or diving is free of charge. From my experience, the "work in return for training" thing only ever works if an employer sees a good potential return on their investment. Same as DM "work-to-pay" internships.

To the OP - all you can really do is e-mail as many dive centres as you can with a good resumé and their thoughts on your offer. Look at dive locations where particular skills or languages are required (if you have them). I've done this looking for employment in Sharm - e-mailed *everybody*, and occasionally somebody replied.

My point is that to find any kind of "free training", you will have to have something special to offer the dive centre, and even then you might have to a cover a lot of living expenses before your income starts to outweigh your expenditure - apartment to rent, food to buy, pet cat to feed, girlfriend to pay (which is quite normal in some parts of Thailand, actually) - possibly for several months... I know this because I did that - although I never had a Thai girlfriend...!

There are various ways and means of extracting "free training" from the dive industry, but sadly, they are all rather expensive.

Cheers,

C.

Is there a local Dive Center near you? Or maybe the Dive Center where you became an instructor? Most likely they already know you and you can work something out to pay for the "tuition" part of the MSTD prep course, but you will most likely have to pay for the student manuals and application fees.

Back
Top Bottom