Padi Master scuba diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me it wasn't any course that changed my whole outlook. It was one dive. One dive with a mentor who due to physical issues no longer dives. He took me on a tour of one of our local sites. One hour dive, I counted eight course changes, and he brought us back within ten feet of where we started. Vis was the usual 10-15 feet or so. But it was his pace - slow and measured, attention to the compass and natural features, and precise turns that did it for me.
That's how I try to teach all my courses now. No rushing or hurrying. As much time as the student needs and as much time as I feel it takes to get all the knowledge I want to convey to the student.
And it is not always in a course that ends up with a card. Often it's done via tailored workshops where I have listened to what the student wants to do and then set up dives, exercises, drills, and even create classroom materials from different sources to do that.

Given the low standard of divers I witness on all too frequent occasions, I'd agree..
I'm sorry you have to deal with that stuff. You must have a rough life. Given that you should really take in mind that you're likely not god's gift to diving or the world for that matter. Until that just keep living an arrogant life.

Are you saying that you do not witness divers exhibiting low standards?

Are you saying that you do not witness divers exhibiting low standards?
I haven't been diving even a year so most of the people I see seem to dive pretty well. Yes there are a couple people I have seen but they are working on it. They are doing their best. Nobody learns in a day. I find this thread really smug and juvenile.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that stuff. You must have a rough life. Given that you should really take in mind that you're likely not god's gift to diving or the world for that matter. Until that just keep living an arrogant life.

I think he's one of them. Sometimes I see him at the meetings. :cool2:

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are. As far as the thread being smug and juvenile I don't see it. Although some might not like it when the truth is presented in certain ways.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

It's great a particular dive, or type of dive has motivated someone to more actively pursue their diving passions. I take no issue with that at all. When it comes to the Master Scuba Diver rating, I think it's a misnomer, not at all unlike Advanced Open Water diver. Of course any continuing education is better than none, but words like "Master" and "Advanced" convey a skill level not necessarily supported by the curricula. Take this hypothetical diver, who has diligently worked on their diving skills to achieve Master Scuba Diver:

Advanced Open water

Adventure Dives:

#1: Navigation in a Caribbean location, viz of 50'
#2. Deep to 65"
#3. Fish ID
#4. National Geographic

Specialities for Master Scuba Diver:

1. Continue with Fish ID, use Adventure Dive as speciality dive #1.
2. National Geographic, use Adventure Dive as speciality dive #1.
3. Underwater Naturalist.
4. Underwater Photography
5. Underwater Videography
6. Rescue Diver

I addition to their OW/AOW training dives (four for open water and four for Adventure dives) eighteen additional dives for the specialities, four for Rescue, and twenty more dives of any type, now qualify this diver as a Master Scuba Diver.

Maybe folks think this level of training and experience is sufficient to be considered a Master Scuba Diver. PADI does. I personally think the requirements should be more stringent, but YMMV.

* Please forgive me if my requirements list or math are off, you get the picture regardless.

Last edited:
So a person with 50 dives and an interest in photography wants to dive with me? I have no problem with that.

He wants to call himself King Tut, I am fine with that too, but will omit it from my log book.

He wants to call himself Master. Well technically, the dictionary definition for Master includes boy or young man. For instance my one year old son's correct English title is Master James. I'm ok with that too.

Not sure Padi meant Master Diver to mean young diver, but you can take it that way if you like.

Besides, I've dived with a few young "master" divers and have generally found them to be pleasant and fun buddies.

hey guys other than haveing a flash q card what is the real world advantage of having a padi master scuba diver Cert.

none - except PADI gets some money for the application.

Also if someone got certified as a divemaster -Yes divemaster not master diver where do they stand doing rec diving at a dive resort etc. Basicly where I'm at is Im loving improving my skill levels but Im concerned about taking the jump to divemaster due to liability issue on dives where I'm "just another diver"

depending on the diving operation you are working with you can make a living by being a divemaster. just be aware that since you are a "professional" with this level you need to cover mentioned liabilities with an assurance. DAN does provide such insurances and they are quite good. you can fit them to your needs - no problem!

having a divemaster certification doesn't say much about your qualities yet. as usual (with anything you do) it depends on how you fill this role. working on your skills and improving day by day certainly is the right way to do it. we all learn new things every time we jump in (at least if you pay attention to what you're doing ;-)) as you can see i did my divemaster a while ago and wanted to make sure i feel up to go to the next level before i did my closed circuit rebreather (CCR) and tec/trimix trainings.

all i can tell you from my experience: you have to feel ready and if there's a challenge - take it! if you don't feel to comfortable with your role yet maybe you want to gain some additional experience before taking the divemaster. anyway: once you're there you will have learned a lot about diving and how things work when you are part of a group (as "follower" or as guide).

thom

If someone wanted to get a rounded education about computer systems, and took a bunch of courses at a community or technical college, then one day realized he had met all the requirements for an Associate's Degree, and that it would cost $50 processing fee to get it, I imagine he might pay & get the degree.

A better analogy would be the guy that did those community courses, then decided to apply for a doctorate in computer science from the back of a matchbook for $50. They sent him a mice certificate to hang on the wall that no current or future employer will give any weight

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom