PADI/IANTD Instructor, thinking Phillipines for Freelance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ste Wart

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Not sure if this an advert or really just asking for advice.

This is the basic gist.
I'm PADI Master Instructor and IANTD Advanced Nitrox Instructor. I teach in both English and Danish (for reasons too long to explain).
My Specialties are the usual:
Deep, Night, EANx, Digital Photography and Wreck. I can also teach EFR Care for Children and the DSAT Tec 40 specialties.
I've been teaching in various locations for the last 5 years; Australia, Honduras, Egypt, Malaysia and Mozambique. I'm thinking about booking a flight to the Phillipines to try and freelance, maybe even stumble onto something more permanent.
Does anyone have any advice of freelancing in the Phillies?

I'm setting up as a freelance rec/tec instructor in Manila at the moment. The Philippines has an awkward visa/work permit situation and the market is already quite well saturated with some highly competant tech diving outfits.

If you were going to come to the Philippines, it'd be worth trying to find some existing dive operations that'd allow you to 'piggy back', so that you could offer the tec training. Scout around for areas that don't already have a strong tech diving organisation.

Anilao, PG, Malapascua and Subic are pretty well covered.

Thanks for the reply.

It's not all too important that I teach Tech ( seeing as IANTD has a non-transferable membership I won't renew for this year until I know which area I will be working in). I'm more interested in getting to work and dive in the Phillies and hopefully play with Camera and get the odd wreck dive in.
So how is the Rec freelance over there?

PG is a good option, for the short term - I've heard from other instructors visiting the Phils that they did get some work there, by canvassing the resorts and dive shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom