I'm an instructor, I'm planning a 7'ish yr working-vaction, and I'm looking for location ideas!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no motivation for telling any " exaggerating, discouraging or spreading mistruths" - which shop did you ring in FP ? Top dive or 6 Passengers? Try ringing a few of the French ops and see if you get the same answer....things may have changed since I was last there?

I did in my original post wish you good luck. I also told you where there was a job going.

I notice you also feel Charlier is misleading you for nefarious purposes as you have refuted everything he has said.

Perhaps take up Trailbosses advice and contact Padi Pro and go over their offerings.

Hasn’t been much commentary on where the best diving in the world is (the point of my post)

That is very subjective. Your original post asked about personal experiences diving and visiting in the locations you have outlined. A few of us responded with our thoughts and experiences. @charlier has worked on a few well known Indonnesian liveaboards. All the places you listed are good in different ways but you did not originally ask anyone to outline their single, favorite place to dive.

My guess is the tone and substance of your replies may have put some of the other participants off, especially when they thought they were being helpful. Perhaps it's the internet and a lot gets lost in translation or is very subjective to interpretation, including the post that I just quoted you in above. Maybe it wasn't your intention, but it may be rubbing some folks the wrong way. There are many ways to convey the same message and I don't know that I would have taken your approach but we can agree to disagree.

For what it's worth, my favorite place to dive overall is Indonesia. Great muck, great coral/reef, great pelagics (whale sharks and mantas). It has the most density and variety that I've seen, as well as amazing color.

Good luck. The industry is all about what you can do for it, not vice versa. I'm sure you believe your qualifications will be adequate to get whatever plum position you desire. Think again. I traveled South East Asia for 10 months looking for positions. My qualifications exceed yours. The closest I came was an offer in Cebu Philippines at an exclusive hotel. When I returned three months later to start, I was told "Sorry, we need to hire more Filipino instructors". I don't have the depth of experience in the Pacific that Wingy and outofoffice have, but value their experience/opinions. Refusing to accept advice from those more knowledgeable than yourself marks you as someone I wouldn't hire. Arrogance is offputting. Instructors are a dime a dozen. You are not a special snowflake, just grist for the mill.

First, me. I am a PADI MSDT instructor (in the US). I have 4 yrs teaching experience (3 as an instructor, 1 as a DM). I have 5 yrs experience working at a dive shop. I have 2 yrs experience working at a hotel. I have an MBA with a specialization in hotel and restaurant management. I speak 3 languages - English, Spanish and French. I am 30 yrs old.
Another place to remain in the US after the grand seven year world adventure besides Hawaii is Los Angeles/Southern California -the best all around the year weather for any & all recreational activity- where you can snowboard/ski in Winter Mountain Wilderness; then turn back around to swim, surf & night dive in Kelp Forests at Mainland Beaches; and then finally come home to Suburbia with a perfect Mediterranean Climate --all done within either a span of 12 hrs, or a leisurely paced Weekend. . . !
Terranea Resort | Careers

Any and all input, any experiences or thoughts that you can share....
Arranging a hand picked list of locations to work over 7 years seems ambitious to me. I lived, fun dived, and worked in Southeast Asia, primarily Philippines, for about 6 years. I got to know quite a few dive shops and instructors over the years, and based on what I saw and experienced, my recommendation would be to start with just finding the first job and then following the opportunities that develop. It is nice to have a wish list, but flexibility will be important.

You might not get to work in all the locations you dream of, but your background should get you started, you have better credentials than some instructors I have known that landed work in good locations. Follow the PADI pro job listings and social media sites of dive shops, and be ready to jump on the right job when it comes up. Further opportunities will present themselves as your network grows...

1) I know people with less qualifications than me that've had no trouble getting work in the Philippines.
2) This is an information-gathering post on a message board, not a job interview. I have no need to impress anyone.
3) 95% of what the dude (the "expert", according to you) said was blatantly false. It's hard for poor inner city kids to go to college. They have extra hoops to jump through. That doesn't mean go to an elementary school in East LA and tell all the kids that it's impossible for them to ever go to college. If that's your guy, cool. Sorry for calling him out.

Good luck. The industry is all about what you can do for it, not vice versa. I'm sure you believe your qualifications will be adequate to get whatever plum position you desire. Think again. I traveled South East Asia for 10 months looking for positions. My qualifications exceed yours. The closest I came was an offer in Cebu Philippines at an exclusive hotel. When I returned three months later to start, I was told "Sorry, we need to hire more Filipino instructors". I don't have the depth of experience in the Pacific that Wingy and outofoffice have, but value their experience/opinions. Refusing to accept advice from those more knowledgeable than yourself marks you as someone I wouldn't hire. Arrogance is offputting. Instructors are a dime a dozen. You are not a special snowflake, just grist for the mill.

I didn't see Sipidan on your list, I don't know anything about working there but it is THE best place I've dived in 25 years of diving! Apparently you can no longer stay on Sipidan itself, it looks like you have to stay on other islands, and diving is restricted to certain times to try and protect it but I'd say it's a must dive destination. We were lucky enough to stay there many moons ago and it was the diving equivalent of being a kid in a sweet shop :)

Also forgot to mention the manta ray night dive from Kona, Big Island, Hawaii which is awesome. I did a pretty good drift dive from Kauai as well if you're ever around the Hawaiian islands. The shark dive at Pacific Harbour, Fiji is a must-do and is totally surreal as you get up close and personal with many species including bull sharks. Enjoy!!

Back
Top Bottom