PADI Holds The New World's Record for Fastest OW Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
In this thread and others I listed specific points that I see as faults in the standards, could you address those? I think the weak points in the standards are blatantly demonstratable yet you state their "top notch" with no support at all.

I went back and read some of your previous posts on this thread, and you do make some good points about buoyancy and finning skills which are lacking in the PADI OW program, at least in so far as the standards are concerned. Most beginning divers have absolutely horrible buoyancy and finning skills. I think most divers skills in these areas slowly improve as they gain more experience. I suppose the question is....Do you make it a standard and mandate a specific skill level prior to certification? In my opinion good buoyancy skills are something that require time and experience to master, which makes requiring them in an OW course somewhat unfeasible. Call it a PADI marketing ploy, but my LDS always highly recommends the Peak Performance Buoyancy class to its OW students. Should PPB be incorporated into OW courses? Its certainly something to consider.

MikeFerrara:
I was partly trained by PADI instructors and I was a PADI instructor. That's what my conclusions about the effectiveness of their training standards are based on. I also have certifications from IANTD, NACD and TDI. You think I'm jealous? Really?

Obviosly those training agencies teach at more advanced levels than does PADI's OW program. Attempting to compare them is like comparing apples to oranges. PADI's OW program is designed to instruct basic level recreational diving, whereas the agencies you have certified with are designed to instruct at the technical level. I don't know any basic OW divers who plan to dive the Andria Doria or go cave diving, and thus do not need that level of training. I agree that freshly certified PADI divers are very green and inexperienced...but everyone has to start somewhere. PADI offers continuing diver education to more advanced levels which every diver has the option of pursuing. No I dont think your jealous, but you do seem unusually irritated with PADI. I can understand disagreeing with thier standards, but you seemed somewhat obsessed with it. Have you ever made any attempts to work with them and express your concerns? Im not an instructor, but I do believe that PADI accepts feedback and comments from its instructors and course directors on how PADI standards are structured, and when deemed appropriate revises them.

careerdiver:
They do not learn bouyancy sitting in a classroom. I can explain neutral bouyancy to someone but until the experience it they will not learn it.

Teaching basic neutral bouyancy is what pools are for.

careerdiver:
You may not like PADI and I respect that, and you do not have to like them,

I don't know where the "don't like PADI" thing comes from. I don't happen to like their assortment of certify-them-quick classes, but I couldn't care less about the organization itself. Lots of divers have good OW classes with PADI.

careerdiver:
but in your 200 dives do you really know the best way to train someone?

It's possible to identify a bad way of doing something without necessarily knowing the absolute best way of doing it. I can tell when the guy working on my car has had poor training, even though I've never personally trained any auto mechanics.

However, here's a quick partial post-dive check list to determine the quality of a diver's training:

Bad Training:
  • Bleeding
  • Scared
  • Out of air
  • Not with buddy
  • Blew safety stop
  • Area where diver was is all silted up
Good Training:
  • Happy about dive
  • Comes back with buddy
  • Comes back with air
  • Nice slow ascent
  • Held safety stop
  • Dive site looks like it did before
Terry

You broke things down to "Bad Training" and "Good Training," but you can see all those things in divers regardless of the legnth of their training. You have seen one example and have decided anyone that any accelerated course is bad training. My point is that regardless of the training there are some people that are rule followers and some that the rules do not apply to them. So even in classes that have last 4 weeks, people are not going to stay by their buddy if they do not want to. I have trained divers in two weekends and certified them in another week and have seen all of the "Good Training" traits. Don't crusifiy the certifiying agency, look at each instructor on a individual basis.

I couple of months ago I did a pool Discover Scuba class for a 12 year old girl. She was a good swimmer, and her parents were hoping she would agree to get certified before an approaching vacation. She wasn't sure, and she wanted to get a taste of it first.

She performed each of the basic skills surprisingly well on her first try each demo. By the end of our two hour session, she looked like a seasoned diver, at least in a 12 foot pool. She had a very good sense of buoyancy and felt totally comfortable. I would say that in terms of overall diving skill, she was well ahead of about 80% of the people I have seen who have completed all their classroom work and their pool sessions. Of course, she did not know the specific skills (like BC removal under water), but she was a thoroughly comfortable (and excited) diver.

She decided that getting certified might be OK after all.

Now, she was certainly extraordinary, but it shows how individual people are. I was not involved with her actual OW instruction, but I am sure she breezed through it. If she had done it in a private session, the amount of time it would have taken her would probably seem scandalous to some people, but she still would have been a good diver.

ScubyDoo:
I went back and read some of your previous posts on this thread, and you do make some good points about buoyancy and finning skills which are lacking in the PADI OW program, at least in so far as the standards are concerned..

Actually the RTSC OW standard doesn't have the word bouyancy in it....anywhwere. NOr does it mentions finning of any kind. Incidentlly the word trim, doe not show up either. It's not the agencies that need to change as much as it's the standards by whcih they design thier courses.

Take the time to read the RTSC, it's a mere 12 pages. I've had entire contract where I was hired to simplify ISO and ANSI standards down into prodecural manauls. I have read many standards before, but never have I seen one so basic, both in content and language.

It could use a little beefing up.

BTW,

Throughout this we have been referring to standards for the training of new divers..You all do realize that having something standardized does not mean it has quality. It only means that the method in which a product is made delivered, should be the same regardless of the producer hence the final product should be the same. A company can develop a standard for making a concrete lifejacket. As long as the maufacturing process is the same, and the materials are all the same is process could be called standardized. The final product does not have to satisfy the needs of a life jacket ot be standardized...thats more a question of quality and function.

ScubyDoo:
I went back and read some of your previous posts on this thread, and you do make some good points about buoyancy and finning skills which are lacking in the PADI OW program, at least in so far as the standards are concerned. Most beginning divers have absolutely horrible buoyancy and finning skills. I think most divers skills in these areas slowly improve as they gain more experience. I suppose the question is....Do you make it a standard and mandate a specific skill level prior to certification? In my opinion good buoyancy skills are something that require time and experience to master, which makes requiring them in an OW course somewhat unfeasible. Call it a PADI marketing ploy, but my LDS always highly recommends the Peak Performance Buoyancy class to its OW students. Should PPB be incorporated into OW courses? Its certainly something to consider.

We've seen the same thing over and over so many times that we think that's how it has to be. New divers often have lousy buoyancy control because no one makes any real attempt to teach them. It's not a required part of the class.

So yest, I would absolutely add to the standards on the subject including a specific level of procidiency on the OW dives. It can be done by the average student but there in information missing from the text that would help, exceprsizes missing from CW and nothing required in OW.

It does require a little practice but a students can get pretty good in the pool before ever going to OW. It doesn't take nearly as long as some would think when it's taught rather than making the student go out and invent it on their own.
Obviosly those training agencies teach at more advanced levels than does PADI's OW program. Attempting to compare them is like comparing apples to oranges. PADI's OW program is designed to instruct basic level recreational diving, whereas the agencies you have certified with are designed to instruct at the technical level. I don't know any basic OW divers who plan to dive the Andria Doria or go cave diving, and thus do not need that level of training.

I wasn't camparing the agencies. I only braught them up because it was suggested that those of us who are down on PADI are jealous.

However some of those other agencies also have OW classes. Most agencies seem to perform at about the same level but there are major differences in the standards. One thing that I really like about the IANTD standards is the skill evaluation form that must be completed for every student on every dive. You can read it on their web site yourself but all the basic dive skills must be graded on every dive and a minimum score is required to pass the coursqe...including their OW course. They actually require the student to dive...how's that for a novel idea?
I agree that freshly certified PADI divers are very green and inexperienced...but everyone has to start somewhere. PADI offers continuing diver education to more advanced levels which every diver has the option of pursuing.

Yes they do offer continueing education and the skills that are left out of OW are not taught in any other class either. If I could only count the number of times I've seen AOW students doing wallowing just like OW students. My favorite was an AOW S&R class that I saw. The instructor had the students sitting on a training platfor to tie their knots. And that serves what purpose? BTW, it is allowed by standards. Standards require them to tie the knots underwater but they are not required to be doing anything that resembles diving when they tie them.
No I dont think your jealous, but you do seem unusually irritated with PADI. I can understand disagreeing with thier standards, but you seemed somewhat obsessed with it. Have you ever made any attempts to work with them and express your concerns? Im not an instructor, but I do believe that PADI accepts feedback and comments from its instructors and course directors on how PADI standards are structured, and when deemed appropriate revises them.

I am very irritated with PADI. Being the biggest they are in aposition of leadership. They should know all about roll model behavior. In large part, they are the inventors of our current system. I see that same problems and even accidents over and over and it seems easy enough to me to see how they relate to what is or isn't in the training standards. Of course I discussed some of these points with PADI when I was a PADI instructor. I even discussed some of the accidents that have happened on AOW deep dives. They of course happen becuase we take students deep before they learn to use basic skills shallow. Per standards a divers 5th lifetime dive could be to 100 ft with an instructor who has only done one dive past 60 ft (the one they had to do in their own AOW class)...Standards permit them to do their first 100 ft dive togehter and some one would wonder why divers get hurt on these dives? PADI wasn't interested in hearing any of this from me. They know exactly what's in their standards, what it allows shops and instructors to do and that's why it's written the way it is.

They do, in theory, ask the opinions of master instructors and up which would include course directors. However, I'd point out that no one has learned to take advantage of the PADI standards in order to pump out huge numbers of students the way some of the course directors I've known can. They are masters of knowing just exactly what they MUST do and doing no more.

As I said the other agencies aren't doing any better for the most part. Most are racing to compete with PADI so they're playing the same game. It's like going to McDonalds, Burgerking or any other fast food place. You know what they have, there's lots of it but do any of us kid ourselves into thinking that any of it is very good? The majority of the time, walking into a local dive shop gets you the Mcdonalds version of dive training. No one said it was any good but it's convenient and inexpensive. PADI is no more interested in hearing how to make their dive training better than McDonalds is in hearing how to make their food better. It is what it was designed to be.

careerdiver:
You broke things down to "Bad Training" and "Good Training," but you can see all those things in divers regardless of the legnth of their training.

If you see those things, the diver had Bad Training.

careerdiver:
You have seen one example and have decided anyone that any accelerated course is bad training.

"Accelerated " is a vague term. I said the weekend class was bad.

Unless you happen to own the Brain Transfer helmet from the old StarTrek series, learning how to be a good, safe diver takes more than a weekend.

My point is that regardless of the training there are some people that are rule followers and some that the rules do not apply to them.

That's another advantage of longer classes. If someone is willing to show up for 7 or 8 classes plus OW dives, to learn to dive, they probably actually want to learn.

Terry

As a PADI instructor my name goes on their Open Watrer Card, and I take pride in anything my name goes on. So I am sorry to argue with you but before my name goes on their card they have to demonstrate safe diving practices. Some people can read thematerial and understand the material. Why you are hell bent on making those poeple sit in a class room or repeating skills over and over in a pool is beyond me. I have certified divers after a few weekends, whos bouyancy looks like someone that has 250+ dives. You are making a generalized statement. That would be like me saying if you need 7 or 8 classes to learn to dive you are special ed.

I forget, how many students have you trained? Until you train students you do not know what they are capable of.

Oh for the record, there is a non PADI local dive center the offers "Certified in 2 weekends." So it is not just PADI. Take your issue up with the RSTC.

careerdiver:
I forget, how many students have you trained?
I'll bet you haven't trained any chefs but can still tell the difference between a good meal and a bad one.

careerdiver:
Until you train students you do not know what they are capable of.
I dive with them. That gives me a pretty good idea.

careerdiver:
Oh for the record, there is a non PADI local dive center the offers "Certified in 2 weekends." So it is not just PADI. Take your issue up with the RSTC.
You seem to have a thing for "2 weekends", which I never mentioned (I was complaining about the 1 weekend class), and think I'm bashing PADI, which I'm not (they just happen to be the business who is pushing the quick certs the hardest).

The RSTC standards are minimum requirements, not limits, and for the most part seem to be just the bare minimum skill level to help students not get killed and be able to move around some under water.

Can you honestly say that if you had twice the time for teaching OW that there is nothing else that you could teach to your students, and that there are no skills that more practice could improve?

Terry

First of all, 2 weekends is the same format that you weere b¡tching about. Saturday Classroom/Pool, Sunday Pool, Saturday Training Dives 1 and 2 Sunday Training Dive 3 and 4. It is the same thing. (you were complaining of 4 days of training, 2 weekends is still only 4 days of training)

If I had twice the time in the pool, honestly I think most students would be bored. Once they master the skills in the pool, they want more too. We can only do fin pivots for so long before the students want a challenge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom