PADI DM class ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an opportunity to take a PADI DM class for $300 books and materials included. I don't want to sign up unless I am sure I can/will put forth the dedication and time required and I have some questions.

1) How much does it cost to renew each year? I didn't know until reading the other thread on PADI vs Naui Dm that there was a charge to re cert each year.

2) How much does insurance normally cost?

I have some gear I will have to replace since the shops around here have the policy, if we don't sell it you can't wear it, so I'm sure I will need a little time to get used to my new gear. I am totally comfortable with all my skills in the water, but...

3) What else could I work on to be a better dive master candidate.

I used to teach swim lessons and I was an assistant stroke coach for a swin team years ago

I plan on carefully interviewing the instructor I would work with the most to make sure we can work together.

Is there anything else I need to know but don't know to ask?

Tom

I find it surprising that they want you to buy new kit? Is that the norm? Admittably I did my DM and AI through the same shop I did all my training in and purchased equipment from but there were others on both courses that were new to us and had kit the shop did not sell and it was not an issue. I think it is important that the kit you use is in good order and does not look too shabby, but other than that.....

In the UK the annual sub is about STG45 I think - in Japan it is considerably more so I'll be interested to hear what you're paying in America.

Don't get me started on the insurance thing!! I am now non-teaching status as I probably won't be doing any for a while as my Japanese is not up to it and the insurance they want me to take does not cover me for my recreational diving and don't see why I need to take out two or possibly three different policies - they like their paperwork out here!!

Good luck with the course should you decide to do it - I think you'll find it well worth while.

Jonathan

Tom,
Current PADI DM dues are $77.50. Insurance is $250 per year through PADI's company of choice.

Neil

The 250 for insurance is only if your going to be conducting the divemaster conducted programs on your own. If your plans are only to be assisting a instructor and you have no plans to do any of the divemaster programs by yourself then the insurance is $159.

As for being a DM.. ask alot of questions of the instructor, watch everything going on around you, get involved in the training, dont just be a spectator. Help out as much as you can, because you are the instructors eyes behind his back so be alert. Always be prepared for anything, ie: extra weight, o-rings, etc. Make sure your always in a good position to handle a problem if the instructor is busy with another student. Communicate with the instructor on the surface and underwater always.

3) Work with as many open water classes as possible. Don't rush your training. Work with one primary instructor, but also work with as many other instructors as possible. Observe as much as possible. Pick up the best points of each instructors style. Review all information on what DM's in training can do and can't do. Review all course material and standards on what a DM can and cannot do. PADI DM's must walk a fine line of "not instructing" and contributing as much as possible.

Things I look for and evaluate in a DM:

1) Pays attention during pool sessions (it can get boring).

2) Demonstration quality skills. If I'm comfortable with the DM's ability to demonstrate, then I will let the DM demonstrate many skills. Eliminates problem number 1)

3) Doesn't "instruct" or overly coach. Only instructors are allowed to instruct. DM's can repeat and assist. Let the student do it wrong before correcting.

4) Personable. DM's often interact more with the students at the lake than the instructors. Provide positive reinforcement and be a role model. (Get rid of those bad habits we all get)

5) Take care of some of the menial tasks the instructor has to handle; threading weight buckles on belts, distributing weights, checking students air supply during and after the dive.

6) A pickup truck or SUV. :)))

Notice, I don't care about how well he/she did on their physics exam or 400 yard swim. The worst DM candidate I've worked with got 100's on all exams and could swim like a fish. It's all in the attitude.

rstone,
Thanks for the additional insurance info. I encourage DM's to buy the full insurance so they can conduct the independent programs and recoup some of their expenses. It's nice to be able to send some work their way, since I can't always pay them enough.

Neil

Originally posted by Tom Vyles
1) How much does it cost to renew each year?
CDN funds - 80

2) How much does insurance normally cost?
Thre are two levels for DM insurance. One covers you if all you're doing is assisting and instructor. The other is if you are the leader for diving with certified divers. This is what I have cost CDN 250. Some shops cover their employee's insurance, some don't.

I have some gear I will have to replace since the shops around here have the policy, if we don't sell it you can't wear it, so I'm sure I will need a little time to get used to my new gear. I am totally comfortable with all my skills in the water, but...

This is is typical around here - but normally only for Instructors.

3) What else could I work on to be a better dive master candidate.
This is what I was told - people skills are as important as your dive skills.

if you want to chat about this... you can send a PM

Can some one list what one is allowed to do once you acheive the DM status?

--TM

You can conduct tours for certified divers in stock tanks...
You can teach snorkeling in stock tanks...
You can assist an instructor teaching classes in stock tanks...
You can teach a remedial diving course to a certified diver in stock tanks...
You can even dive them thar stock tanks for pleasure...
You even get to be called unkind things by Capt Dave as you dive in stock tanks...

That's off the top of my head, there are probably others as well...

Pete...

I thought I also saw in a thread somewheres that a DM can conduct a "Discover Stock Tank and Swamp Diving" to give an interested party a taste of the wonderments that we all enjoy. That true?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom