PADI Divermasters on Oahu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gunslinger808

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to inquire if there are any Divemasters working on the island of Oahu? I am trying to get a feel for what local dive shops are paying DM's on Oahu. Also want to know what is considered common practice here locally.

I know Cameron is/was a paid DM with Captain Bruce....and Brian at Dive Oahu paid some too. I don't know if it's much, but don't expect any benefits.

Cameron doesn't dive much anymore......

Most DM's I have talked to work as much as instructors do on the boats and get to share tips at the end of the day. The sad truth for the Dive Professional is that there isn't much in a steady paycheck if you are a Divemaster. It's almost the case here that you need to be an instructor to be hired and paid as a full-time staff.

The problem occurs when a 3 person day goes to a six person day and 5 of them are intros. By PADI standards you need another instructor to make that fly. Since so many clients book last minute out here it is difficult to keep from putting DM's on boats, then replacing them with instructors due to ratios at the last minute.

That being said..... shop yourself around a bit. If you want my input on who might be able to get you some good dives feel free to PM me.

G

also, dm/instructors are a dime a dozen, you really need to be also, repair certified, vip trained, multi agency, bi-lingual and being a CD or IT and boat captain, just to be really marketable and able to get to the upper side of the pay scale (sorry for the truths but just keepin it real)

It's been a pretty established practice that DM's don't get paid here only get a cut of the tips. I'm not saying it's right but most charters are instructor led. Anyone know of any shops that pay their DM's on the regular?

G

correction. most Divematers. I work a very sellect group of instructors and yes I get paid. the payment does depend on the size of the group, and if im workin with an instructor or diving a group alone. but I dont work for the shop i work for the instructor(s)and thats working out just find with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom