PADI Divemaster without Advanced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI required Alternate Air Source use in training starting in 1986.
In 1994 PADI made buddy breathing (two divers, one regulator) an optional skill for OW certification.
PDIC did the same. In 1985, an additional second stage was the only method of sharing air that PDIC endorsed. In 1989, buddy-breathing was back in as Pool III training when I became an instructor.

Attachments

• KIMG0341.JPG
    KIMG0341.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 38
  • KIMG0344.JPG
    KIMG0344.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 40
  • KIMG0342.JPG
    KIMG0342.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 49
  • KIMG0343.JPG
    KIMG0343.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 41
Even though a lot of SBers complain about how things aren’t as good as back in the day when they were being chased around a pool by a retired Navy SEAL and everybody is dying because they haven’t done fundies and are unable to recite Henry’s Law at 60 metres.
It's been a while, but I used to read the annual DAN fatality reports every time they came out. They had fatality reports starting in about 1970 and continuing on. In 1970, the total number of divers was a fraction of what it was 30-40 years later. In addition, their ability to find information about diver fatalities was more limited than it became later. (The first reports did not come from DAN--they adopted them from that earlier source.) I used to post an annual summary that went something like this: for the first 10 years of those reports (with fewer total divers), the total number of deaths per year was on average double the total number of deaths over the most recent 10 years.

As I said, it has been a while since I looked at that, but I have no reason to assume it is any different today.

PDIC did the same. In 1985, an additional second stage was the only method of sharing air that PDIC endorsed. In 1989, buddy-breathing was back in as Pool III training when I became an instructor.

I think I was taught buddy breathing in 2000

Back
Top Bottom