PADI Dive Wheel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just took my decompression theory final which included the wheel. I passed- but truly despise that thing.

Awww why all the hate to the Wheel. I love my wheel. It kept me down longer while I saved up for a computer. I bought my wheel before I went to my first class.

On topic: it was required for the exams.

I just completed my Divemaster, the wheel is being fazed out and being replaced with the MLS ERDP.We still had to learn the Wheel but, the Course instructor let the shop I work for know that this is a transition period and when I go to the IDC next spring we are to let them know if we learned on the wheel or the MLS so the test will be given accordingly.Actually had to use the wheel and the MLS to do the problems so I knew how to use all: Wheel,ERDP,RDP,ERDP MLS.
I believe you should know how to use all even if you have a computer or the electronic version of the RDP's as you never know when you might need them....

Im not sure why anyone would ever need to use the wheel. I've not seen it used outside a classroom/assessment situation in the real world.

I do think EVERYONE should know tables though.

To me the wheel is simpler, more flexible and convenient than the RDP. I'm also glad it's being replaced. The whole piercing vs. touching is not very intuitive. The eRDPml should solve this!
I probably would use it if I did not have a computer.

Wiz

I just completed my Divemaster, the wheel is being fazed out and being replaced with the MLS ERDP.We still had to learn the Wheel but, the Course instructor let the shop I work for know that this is a transition period and when I go to the IDC next spring we are to let them know if we learned on the wheel or the MLS so the test will be given accordingly.Actually had to use the wheel and the MLS to do the problems so I knew how to use all: Wheel,ERDP,RDP,ERDP MLS.
I believe you should know how to use all even if you have a computer or the electronic version of the RDP's as you never know when you might need them....
From my reading in the ID version of the updates, along with the TB's, come Jan 1/09, there will only be two "official" and *required* versions of the RDP: the table and the eRDPml.

You will no longer be required to have the Wheel, nor know how to teach it. I suspect that, at that point, if you choose to use the Wheel for the exam, you will not be allowed any leeway to defend incorrect answers.

Back
Top Bottom