PADI Dive Wheel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mig_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm starting my PADI DM course next week and I have been told that I need a PADI Dive Wheel. IMO the wheel is a complete waste of money. Do I actually need it, or should I just not bother?

If I do need it, does anyone know where I can get them cheap? I just bought gear as well so I am kind of poor at the moment :(

Yes. You need it. There'll be questions based on the Wheel on the Final.

Yes. It's not worth much, but it is required. Them's the rules!

Agree ... you need it. There a 4-5 questions on Deco Theory exam that absolutely require the wheel. Maybe you could borrow one from another DM?

Borrow the wheel, borrow the book. You can't learn the wheel without the book. Plan to spend at least 2 hours going through the book. It would be hard to pass the test without knowing the wheel inside out.

I agree, the wheel is a waste of money, but it is a cool device, and the closest thing you can get to a computer. Kinda like a slide ruler before calculators come along.

As stated, yes, you need to have and know how to work the wheel for your DM. The reason for that is, as a DM, you should be able to help a diver using the wheel for multilevel diving (I've yet to come across one). I do carry mine with me on long trips just in case my or someone elses computer craps out, I won't be stuck with square profiles. During your course, you'll see the difference in the wheel and tables, and the difference in bottom times using it correctly allows. If, at a later date, you wish to attend an IDC, you'll need to have one and be able to teach it during your IDC and IE, as well as teaching the eRDP.

You need one, it really is as simple as that, like someone says there are 4-5 wheel questions in the DM exam, if you go any further up the pro ladder you will need to be able to teach it, although in your everyday diving life as a DM you will probably never need it, but there is always a time, (least expected when you may be required to call on it).. this means it always has to be relativly fresh in your mind, just borrowing one for the DM course is ok for a stop gap solution, but having your own with the instruction book, gives you the opportunity to play around with it during quiet times, when i did my DM i borrowed one and studied it for 3-4 hours and did ok in the decompression theory exam,3 months down the line i forgotten what i had learned so i went out and bought one just to refresh my memory every now and then, e-bay is probably your best bet for 2nd hand one with booklet..

Probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. Does the wheel come in metric and imperial versions or it it universal? :lotsalove:

Anyone know where I can get a metric one from?

Back
Top Bottom