PADI DIR Distinctive Specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All kidding aside, this class actually sounds incredibly useful....

Think about it, would you rather take a class like this or take AOW?

Hmmm, possibilities???

Since I am Padi (Paid) OW certified and need a fundies class in order to take Tech 1. This excellent class sounds just right. What I hope to get out of the class is, how to properly deploy my snorkel, where I am supposed to stow it? (Dive bin at home works well so far), how to back up with my split fins and get my money back (They are for sale), how to properly use a retractor (Currently located in landfill), why does DIR say everything must be in black? (My drysuit is orange, is that OK or am I going to die?), and last but not least hopefully they will teach us how to carry a HUGE camera and strobes, using a stage, while scootering at 160ft. I understand the three minute deco stop is mandatory, but what if we are cold can we just do the deco stop back on the boat? (We will stay suited up regs in mouth) After all we will be using that special gas Nitrox right? This sounds like the perfect INTRO class :D

Oh yeah I also enjoy making my scooter breach the water while waiting for my buddy, hopefully they can help me improve on those skills. Is there someone available to properly show the class how to install a catheter, hook it to the valve, then demonstrate a valve drill for the class? If they are of appropriate size, I am sure a few *ladies* would be willing to watch (I will be busy doing my own thing somewhere else during that demo).

Have fun!

gotta tune those snorkel deployment skills. :D

The typical DIR diver does plenty of S-drills and valve drills, but snorkel drills are missing. With the PADI DIR Distinctive specialty, you'll learn the basics of efficient deployment.

As for storage, per Peter_C's question, the storage bin at home is okay. However, in the car is even better. Or if you need it for your dive, you can store in your pocket (whichever is the appropriate one for you) or even replace a back-up light with it (only for OW, non-overhead dives).

Sweet. How are in-water skills demonstrated? Kneeling in a circle, with perfect buoyancy, 2 feet off the bottom? :)

Kenn, I'm looking for a Training Director, would you like to apply?

While prone position will be taught, kneeling and genie hover will be required as well. This is a PADI course, and if you're going to do those positions in other PADI courses, might as well do it right.

The typical DIR diver does plenty of S-drills and valve drills, but snorkel drills are missing. With the PADI DIR Distinctive specialty, you'll learn the basics of efficient deployment.

As for storage, per Peter_C's question, the storage bin at home is okay. However, in the car is even better. Or if you need it for your dive, you can store in your pocket (whichever is the appropriate one for you) or even replace a back-up light with it (only for OW, non-overhead dives).

Well now I am concerned about how to carry the snorkel when diving in an overhead environment as the Photon's need to remain in place, along with my SMB. My pockets are full of useless stuff like spare mask, shears, whistle (Must have for cave diving), signal mirror (So you can fend off vampires), and a spool, so I am sure something could be removed...like that extra mask that has never been needed, to make room for the snorkel in a pocket?

Will we also be taught how to navigate? I have a couple of those compass thingys but in my OW class all we did was walk across the lawn with a compass in our hands then navigate out to the buoy. Found the buoy OK, but they never taught us how to get BACK to where we started (True story). Could be a problem once I start diving outside the pool.

The A-DIR class, does it come with a patch too?

Is a night dive the requirement of A-DIR...if so last time we dove Monterey at 8:00am it was pitch black below 40 feet, so would that count as a night dive? In fact people were coming back up the anchor line as we were headed down, probably due to not having a DIR approved flashlight.

Also will they be offering us the PADI DIR solo diver course soon? :eyebrow:

Will we also be learning about the HOG setups? As it is lunch time and I am hungry...gonna go pig out :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom