PADI course for idiots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife is just in the process of getting her OW certification and I was having a flick through her course book. It appears to be written for school children, honestly are people so stupid that they need to be told what order to pack their equipment bag? For the first time in my life I am scared to dive, because apparently there are people out there who are diving and need a book to teach them basic life skills.

Remember the basics - KISS

Keep It Simple Stupid

that is the way the world turns. :)

It isn't just PADI. Looking at the writing level of books and Internet sites that are directed towards adults, I am often amazed at how poorly written they are. They are indeed writing to a level far below that I'm used to reading (as a scientist), and the proofreading is too often non-existent or too casual to catch even obvious errors. Just look at The Huffington Post since AOL took it over... I'm frequently posting on the "quality" of the proof reading there. My country has certainly dumbed down in its language skills (not to mention science and math). I don't know how true that is of the rest of the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom