PADI course for idiots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I'm sure PADI isnt the only agency with this sort of education. I did my ow cert a long time ago through NAUI and while I remember it being quite basic, I'm sure there wasn't so much state the obvious in my course. On the plus side I think they do a great job explaining some of the concepts that beginners could find difficult like pressure/depth relationship etc.
I think I have enough experience in the diving industry to get away with a quick flick through.

The United States Navy writes its Reactor Plant Manuals and Steam Plant Manuals for an 8th grade reading level. In Basic training, all recruits are brought up to a standardized 8th grade reading level. I never met anyone in 8 1/2 years of service that couldn't comprehend the materials for how to repair a pump, operate a piece of machinery, or take immediate corrective actions for a reactor casualty, because the Navy standardized all of our reading comprehension. PADI has no such ability, so teaching is done to the Least Common Denominator.

I was taught that the mass majority have about a 5th grade reading level for scuba instruction. But let's say your students are more Tolstoy than Seuss (nothing wrong with Seuss :)) It's nice to be able to change the format and teach at their preferred level. Satisfy their curiosity and thirst of knowledge. I know one college class that was deriving dive tables. Like whoa. :)

My wife is just in the process of getting her OW certification and I was having a flick through her course book. It appears to be written for school children, honestly are people so stupid that they need to be told what order to pack their equipment bag? For the first time in my life I am scared to dive, because apparently there are people out there who are diving and need a book to teach them basic life skills.

I work in law enforcement and you would not believe how you have to tell people to do things. I used to give simple commands like "obey the speed limit" but now I have to tell people literally. When you turn on _____ street youll drive about a .1 mile on your odometer and look to your right and you will see a speed limit sign. Its right next to a mcdonalds and you cant miss it." I still get people who tell me they have trouble finding it.

you write different books and you don't mix apples and oranges in the same class, same as you don't have university students in grade 2 and vice versa

Sounds simple enough t, give us a shout when you get that job finished.:wink: Then come up with a business model that will allow you to decide what level of education someone must have when that start a particular class. This month, ages 10-14, next month high schoolers only. Blue collar workers the month after that. Sorry Dr., you can't take classes with your children. Their classes won't begin until the first quarter of 2013. Sometime you have to mix apples and oranges, you just have to make fruit salad instead of apple sauce.

My wife is just in the process of getting her OW certification and I was having a flick through her course book. It appears to be written for school children, honestly are people so stupid that they need to be told what order to pack their equipment bag? For the first time in my life I am scared to dive, because apparently there are people out there who are diving and need a book to teach them basic life skills.

I thought OW was about teaching (at least in part) basic skills to save new diver's lives. I'm sure our current litigious culture and liability issues have some influence also. How do you defend writing at a higher level so fully literate people don't become bored, during a lawsuit over inadequate/ineffective training?

Idiocracy the movie: it's here. What are the most popular TV shows? The ironically named 'reality shows', usually with obviously contrived and over acted imbecile content. Find Brasil or Vietnam on a map? You must be joking. Who was president before Bill Clinton? Who fought on what side in WW2? Go into any typical new divers classroom and ask the students these kinds of questions.

I'm semi-retired, but I occasionally teach freshman writing to college students. Most full time faculty, my erstwhile colleagues, are happy to let me pick up a section or two, just to avoid the pain and maintain their illusions a bit longer.

Idiocracy the movie: it's here. What are the most popular TV shows? The ironically named 'reality shows', usually with obviously contrived and over acted imbecile content. Find Brasil or Vietnam on a map? You must be joking. Who was president before Bill Clinton? Who fought on what side in WW2? Go into any typical new divers classroom and ask the students these kinds of questions.

I'm semi-retired, but I occasionally teach freshman writing to college students. Most full time faculty, my erstwhile colleagues, are happy to let me pick up a section or two, just to avoid the pain and maintain their illusions a bit longer.

That's so funny that you mention Idiocracy, I was thinking just that!
One of the members on this board said something to me when I first started posting, I will never forget.
He said, the problem is that we have fools teaching idiots how to dive.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt all the time. But certainly assume nothing. Driving a boat, driving a car, walking down the street you have to be so clear about your intentions otherwise people run into each other. Amazing.

Yeah, (yes), you are unfortunately, quite correct. The general education level for most persons appears to be dropping rapidly.
As a Canadian, born quite a while ago in the Imperial system times (feet & inches, punds and quarts), but raised in the Metric system (kilos and meters and Celcius temps etc.) I actually use both almost interchangeably. I am 5'11" tall, I ride 240 kmh, I walk 5kms to the store, dive to 130' max.....and on and on.
I find it amusing when my students are opening up the final exam book and I tell them that when they get to question 42, turn the page so as to get to the Imperial questions.
I inevitably get some curoius looks, so I explain they don't understand the metric system. I can see some disbelieving looks on their faces, so I ask them, okay, to the nearest inch, how many inches in a meter?
One out of ten can guess 39". So then I ask them, okay, let's have some fun, how many inches in a yard? Most can't answer, maybe 3 out of ten can say 36". Okay, how many feet in a yard? Blank stares. Okay, there's 12" in a foot. How many feet in a yard.
At this point, half of them are reaching for the iPods.....
Really? Can't divide 12 into 36 in your head?
I really have to wonder what type of education they have received and how prepared they really are for the real world.
Bottom line for all this?
Yeah, the books have to be written at a simple level. For Open Water students, why would any company want to scare them off with technical explanations?
Get them diving and give them the option to learn more indepth information when and if they want to.
I fly in planes all the time and have a pretty good grasp of how they work, but I know nothing of the true inner workings or operations of a plane. Don't need to. If I wanted to be a pilot or mechanic maybe....but just to come along for the ride? Where's the door, where's my seat, where's my food?

Set up my gear for me. Tell me how to get in. Lead me around, show me cool stuff. Take me to exit. Sign my log book.

What if they have to fly the plane? Surely if some penguins in 'Madagascar' did it, it can't be that hard. Hmm, maybe landing may be a bit tricky. :)

Descending is very easy. Returning to zero feet repeatedly without incident. AHA! I agree with tell them no more than they need to know, otherwise surely some important piece of information is bound to fall off the top. :)

If only everyone was as crafty as a 'Madagascar' penguin.

For the first time in my life I am scared to dive, because apparently there are people out there who are diving and need a book to teach them basic life skills.

I guess it can be hard to see how well done the training materials are put together.
The essential information (which obviously ISN'T packing a dive bag) is tested, reminded and tested again.
The quick quizes, the knowledge reviews, and the exams all check that you've retained that info.
There is other useful information (like HOW to pack a dive bag... maybe someone hadn't thought about that!) but it's not tested or esssential.
There is a great deal of sophistication in the simplicity.

Back
Top Bottom