PADI classroom anxiety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kingsley Zissou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everybody

My wife and I are currently studying for our OW cert in June. We have been reading and highlighting and of course combing the forums for a few weeks now. During a study session last night, she expressed that she is a bit nervous about the class. She is a strong swimmer and loves the water. We did a discover scuba class before deciding to get certified and we both had a blast. So she is not worried about the actual act of diving or being underwater or any of the usual stuff.

It is the classroom that has her worried.

We have both been out of school for a while and she has some minor test anxiety, so the thought of being "grilled" about all the info in the study book in a room of strangers has her worried. I assured her that is not how the class is set up and as long as she does the prep work for the class she will be fine. I have yet to hear of anyone flunking out of OW class. :)

So I come to you today to draw from your experiences in the classroom:

Did you feel prepared for your classroom sessions?

Did you have any anxieties about being in a classroom environment?

What did the instructor do to make you more at ease?

Any good stories about what you liked about the classroom portion would be nice as well.

Thanks a bunch.

I have yet to hear of anyone flunking out of the open water class either. When I got certified, a couple of local fisherman who could not read and write were getting certified (they had to have the test read to them, although they still had to demonstrate that they could work the tables, which I never really figured out how they did), so I genuinely wouldn't sweat it too much.

Most instructors are very conscious that they are in a competitive consumer focused industry, and will do their best to put you at ease and relax you in relation to learning what is supposed to be a fun, enjoyable sport. Anyone who starts pulling the Harvard Socratic method on you for the OW course probably doesn't have too many customers.

As I recall the PADI OW written test was very straight forward and was a direct replay of the course material you have covered.

My suggestion, go slow and make sure you clearly understand each question. On this type of test, I think most mistakes come from answering too quickly and missing a key aspect of the question.

Look for those keywords they kept replaying as you went through the training material.

Also, this is serious - but fun. PADI wants to be sure you understand the important things their experiance has shown can lead to trouble in the water. They aren't trying to trick you, but do want to be sure you have a good scuba experience.

Hope you are surprised with how well you do!

My wife and I had the exact same conditions you spoke about. discover scuba, nervousness...

Trust me... the test is a breeze. there is no way you can flunk unless you POSSIBLY didn't crack the book at all.

Your instructor covers everything that's on the test anyways before he/she gives it.

You have NOTHING to worry about.

My wife didn't crack the book at all and got a 100 on her test and all her quizzes. She's not even interested in science or math.

It's really very easy. From what I remembered the test was full of pictures and diagrams which may be easier for her to deal with. Just make sure you read each sentence through. It's about the same as getting your license for a car. Pretty straightforward...

Just read the book and watch the video like you're supposed to. The class is written at a 4th grade level. You'll be fine!

DM

Hi KZ. Classroom explanations should be real clear and easy to understand. If you don't understand, keep asking until you do. Nobody wants you to flunk but it is important that you understand the material. Most instructors will not only allow you to ask for clarification of any questions you don't understand during the exam but expect it. Don't get me wrong though. Clarification does not mean "fishing for answers"....On the whole you should look at this as something you are learning for enjoyment. PADI books are made to be written in, underlined and you should answer the questions at the end of every section. Enjoy!

I have trained 10 year-olds who have scored in the mid to upper 90s on PADI exams. PADI courses are very user friendly and family oriented, with most pressure coming from within yourself; not others around you. You also get out of the course what you put in to it. I suggest taking it seriously, but don't overdo it in your mind. Most of what you learn will take place in the water through repetition; not in the classroom. Most of all, your experience will depend tremendously on the personality and teaching style of your instructor.

Remember, safety first and then have a lot of fun. Just relax and look forward to it. It will be one of the most rewarding things you have ever done!

I suggest that she genuinely become interested in the material. We sometimes think the classroom sessions are a means to an end. But, really, the classroom stuff is the most basic things that will hold you in good stead in your diving career. (It's been a long time for me, though)

There are threads here where people talk about how inadvisable (read:stupid) it is to go to certain depths on air, etc. If you know the physiology of diving, you can make informed choices and take the risks you want to take.

If she becomes interested in the material, she will have no trouble with the tests. She may even be able to develop some tests, if she goes beyond the classroom material.

ditto the above. it is NOT hard!!!! i'm a decent swimmer and comfortable in the water, etc. but what made me more nervous than the classroom stuff, was actually having all that gear on and learning and passing off skills.......it's just that i wasn't used to wearing all that "stuff" and it made me nervous doing all the skills....but i made it just fine. and i LOVE diving!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom