PADI Cavern Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unless you're totally sure you'll never want to progress
1999- I take OW and I think cave divers are insane for wanting to enter an overhead.
2000- I'll do cavern, but people who cave dive are complete idiots.
2008- I've logged 18 cave dives within 4 weeks of getting my basic cave card, but still not sure about those who solo dive or dive with DPV's (notice I'm replacing idiot with more "gentle" language so I'm not talking about myself in a few years....)

It (Cave diving) sneaks up on you............then you are hooked and want more.:eyebrow:

Last edited:
It sneaks up on you............then you are hooked and want more.:eyebrow:

HEY , no sneaking ... :rofl3:
(you sneaker you)

Interesting point , I have done only one solo cave dive (sidemount) and even though the dive was OK , I just missed having company around. :D
For ME (myself only) , I much prefer diving with buddies around. I think I just like to harass them with my singing :rofl3:
And there are those that love solo diving and/or love to scooter. I think it's great we can all have our place in our "Cave Family". :eyebrow:
For those of us that frequent Peacock and Madison (and soon to be other places) , solo diving isn't allowed anywhoos.

Besides , us old folks need to swim to get our exercise ...

Jean

P.S. Besides , it's no fun playing Javelins solo in Peacock. Oh wait , you can't solo dive in Peacock anyway. Unless you do dat dere sneaky stuff. (EEK)

As stated before, the instructor is much more important than the training agency. I have seen dive shops offering Padi courses in addition to IANTD, NSS-CDS or NACD because they feel they have to from a business perspective. Since they are still using the same instructors the training will most likely be as good – no matter what logo the c-card shows.

However, I know that there are other dive shops out there were business is conducted by the numbers. Failure is not an option, since it is not good for business. I would try to find an excellent instructor first, and learn as much as possible. I also believe that it is good to dive with different instructors (i.e. one for intro, later another one for apprentice or full cave). Every instructor has its own “diving style”, equipment preferences, and the best way to improve skills is to dive, listen, watch, and practice.

Stories you hear during your breaks are an additional benefit and an excellent way to understand the community.

Cave diver brings up an interesting point. I wonder How many "PADI cavern only" Instructors we have in relation to how many "Multi-Agency cavern" Instructors are out there?

Cave diver brings up an interesting point. I wonder How many "PADI cavern only" Instructors we have in relation to how many "Multi-Agency cavern" Instructors are out there?

Probably not many. I'm guessing most of us that are PADI cavern instructors use that as a stepping stone and move on to get an instructor rating from one of the cave diving agencies. I'm sure there are a few PADI only instructors, but most of them are probably located outside of Florida and Mexico. I did know a PADI instructor who wanted to get his cavern rating. He wasn't even cavern trained. A full cave diver can forge logs to get qualified to teach the PADI course, but it would be difficult to forge the cert card.

I dont think that its possible because i had to pick up my card from the PADI dive center were i took my course. Did any of you receive your card in the mail straight from PADI?

I dont think that its possible because i had to pick up my card from the PADI dive center were i took my course. Did any of you receive your card in the mail straight from PADI?

That is entirely possible. The submission can indicate to shop, instructor, or student. I only sent it directly to the student if they were travelling and certified away from home. I always want to verify everything's right before handing it to the student.

But unless the instructor hands the PIC application to the student already signed, it will go the way the instructor designates. I personally disdain this practice, as the student could falsify the information to any end they desire.

I am a fan of the on-line method. That way the shop and instructor (and the student if they wish) get an email confirmation of a cert being requested involving them. A nice way to avoid "go-arounds."

And don't forget , SOME of us got our certs directly from Bubba's Scuba Emporium and Technical Diving Institoot. :D

Jean

P.S. Keepin a sharp eye on Fay...Current center of track goes like , right by us. (EEK)

HEY , no sneaking ... :rofl3:
(you sneaker you)

Interesting point , I have done only one solo cave dive (sidemount) and even though the dive was OK , I just missed having company around. :D
For ME (myself only) , I much prefer diving with buddies around. I think I just like to harass them with my singing :rofl3:
And there are those that love solo diving and/or love to scooter. I think it's great we can all have our place in our "Cave Family". :eyebrow:
For those of us that frequent Peacock and Madison (and soon to be other places) , solo diving isn't allowed anywhoos.

Besides , us old folks need to swim to get our exercise ...

Jean
P.S. Besides , it's no fun playing Javelins solo in Peacock. Oh wait , you can't solo dive in Peacock anyway. Unless you do dat dere sneaky stuff. (EEK)

Hey Jean,
I have been missing that wonderful singing lately:D, while swimming through the lips backwards. I hope to get to dive with you soon. Since I only dive the breather now, I may be able to hang with you and dem 85's
Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom