PADI AOW in 3 dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I do a wreck dive at 100 ft and experience some drift, would that one dive be counted as a WRECK, DRIFT and DEEP dive or do you have to do 5 separate dives to get your Open Water card?

It is not clear whether you have done that or asking if it can be done.
If you have done it, you need to get a refund and find another Instructor.

If you are in the process of doing AOW, you have to have 5 dives. The only time a dive can be credited towards AOW, is if right after your open water cert, your Instructor offered to you to do one of the elective Advanced Dives, which then will be counted as one of the 5 AOW dives. The dive has to be signed by your Instructor to qualify as credit.:goldfish:

It is not clear whether you have done that or asking if it can be done.
If you have done it, you need to get a refund and find another Instructor.

If you are in the process of doing AOW, you have to have 5 dives. The only time a dive can be credited towards AOW, is if right after your open water cert, your Instructor offered to you to do one of the elective Advanced Dives, which then will be counted as one of the 5 AOW dives. The dive has to be signed by your Instructor to qualify as credit.:goldfish:

Knowledge Reviews should have been turned in also!

okay, so SEAHOUND has possed a couple of questions and/or scenarios but it doesn't seem like he's added any more to the conversation. What's up with that? What's the deal Seahound? Are these just hypotheticals or what?

Robway

Wrong! :no

Students may complete the 5 Adventure Dives required for AOW (or just the 3 for Adventure Diver) with 5 different instructors at 5 different locations (3 at 3 for AD) in whatever time frame they chose. The training log pages are already in the log book that comes with the OW crew pack. The instructor who sends in the cert (either the 3rd dive inst or 5th dive inst) is supposed to verify the other training dives before sending in the cert.

PADI:
Referral and Training Procedures

student divers may choose to complete one
Adventure Dive at a time in various dive
locations or choose to complete all dives for
certification with one instructor. Due to this
flexibility, you may begin, continue or com-
plete training with a diver by conducting
one or more dives. By evaluating the student
diver’s Adventure Dive Training records, you
can determine which dives the diver completed
and how many more the diver needs for certifi-
cation.

Theoretically, if a diver has 4 specialty certs with one being Underwater Navigation, they would only need the Deep Adventure dive to qualify for AOW. Finding instructors who will conduct individual training dives may not be easy, but it is common at resort locations. Also, the total cost of going this rout is usually more ($75-$125 per dive typically).

AOW for PADI mandates 5 dives. You can count a deep dive and apply it to getting your specialty or whatever specialty you want to work towards. Why would anyone not want to do more dives? If your instructor has recommended that, you need to find another one. What other short cuts does he take and you don't know about it?

You have another option, like Tienuts said, "Blackmail him for a free class".

I'm not an instructor, and I don't think I would ever want to be one, but if I were, I can't and don't understand how any instructor could shortcut a course, and in good conscience, issue a card and say, "You're a diver, now. Wherever you want to go, wherever you want to dive, I'm confident in your abilities. Have fun!"

Seems like something that could result in a lot of sleepless nights and a heavy conscience, if one of those students ended up dead from a foolish mistake underwater, especially if more thorough and conscientious training could have prevented it...

*pondering...*

I assumed based on the original post there was note a question of applying any adventure dives toward the AOW. If that is the case then "neverrrrrrr mind"

typo correction- NOTE should have been Not

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom