PADI Account Creation - Any Way to Link Former OW Cert? (And a NAUI cert question)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pittsburgh_Mom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all--I tried to search all over the internet, the PADI site, and these boards first but did not have much luck for what I was seeking, so hoping to get help with a quick question here... then, I thought, since I'm here with such awesome experts, I'll add a slightly more complicated twist. :)

My husband got certified for his OW from PADI in 2009. He dove for years, but took a bit of a hiatus. He's back into it now, with me, since I've started diving.

I'm NAUI certified and my NAUI online account was created when I got my OW cert, so it shows all of my diver info on the site, and I have the app to log dives, etc. On our current dive trip, it seems many divers are doing things electronically instead of bringing in their physical cards and logbooks; I [think that I] see PADI has moved to e-cards, too. So, in an effort to "get with the times"--

He created a PADI account today to try to have the same sort of functionality I have with my NAUI site/NAUI app... unfortunately, even with name (not a really common name, especially with middle name) and date of birth, the site did not seem to "recognize" him in any way, and there seemed to be zero way to link or add his PADI certification number to the account or anything. Does anyone know if there's a way to sync up/add his diver info to the PADI account? (That, hopefully, would push to the app?)

Second... we're both going to do AOW with NAUI next month in our home community with the instructor with whom I got my OW in 2019. My husband asked--"Will that make me a NAUI diver? How does that work?" And I have no idea what to tell him. Is there any "official" (recognized?) site/app that maintains mixed certifications online/electronically? If so, bonus--does it help to track logged dives or anything?

And--are dives logged electronically official, from the standpoint that no one can "sign" them (at least not in my NAUI app) to track, if needed, for, say, DM or something else someday in the future?

Thank you all for any and all help with these questions. :)

Second... we're both going to do AOW with NAUI next month in our home community with the instructor with whom I got my OW in 2019. My husband asked--"Will that make me a NAUI diver?
I can't help with your other stuff, but I can answer this.

Diving isn't like being on a sports team. Your husband will be a diver. He will have certifications from 2 agencies, but otherwise, he is just a diver. You do not belong to an agency. Professional divers are members of the agency for which they instruct, but that is not quite the same thing. When I am diving, I am not part of any of the 5 agencies from whom I have certifications.

...unfortunately, even with name (not a really common name, especially with middle name) and date of birth, the site did not seem to "recognize" him in any way, and there seemed to be zero way to link or add his PADI certification number

Check the name on the card carefully, it may be misspelled. The search used is exact, if both the name and date are not exactly the way it is in the computer, you won't find it. If that doesn't work try a call to PADI, they can find it by number.

I assume your hubby joined “PADI Club” for the free trial. Contact PADI directly through the app to request they search and link the original OW cert. They were able to link my AOW cert from 1991. But my original OW cert from 1978 (?) was a bridge too far. Not that I need it for anything except nostalgia.

I reactivated my AOW through online learning (PADI Club) followed by a 2-hour pool session at a LDS ($150). PADI mailed a new physical card. PADI charges a hefty fee for an e-card, FYI.

Once you have both completed NAUI AOW, the original PADI OW becomes irrelevant.

Many diving friends recommended Nitrox cert. It was easy yet pricey, around $200 online. The LDS didn’t charge extra for the test, as I reactivated and bought a reg there. PADI sent a card. The e-cert costs more. I’d suggest doing Nitrox through NAUI so that all relevant certs are with one agency.

JMHO and recent experience.

Did you try logging in to scubaearth? All of my PADI certs are right there when I log in and the only $$ I've paid PADI in the past 15 years + was to replace a lost instructor card with a new plastic and E-Card.... The E-Card just shows right up on my phone app which is also free. Screen shot from phone below. Never heard of having to join or pay for a PADI Club......or any other annual fee for PADI just to maintain certification info.

lctAZcV.png

I suggest you use the certification number on the lookup page. There may be errors in spelling or birthdate. An email/call to PADI can get it sorted.

You don't need to pay for an official e-card. Just take a picture of both sides and put it on your phone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom