Trip Report Padangbai (Bali) Report: Geko Divers August '23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday a diver got separated from his guide in fast currents. Not Geko Divers. Diver was found by a fast boat ferry passing by so that diver was lucky. Anyway today the marine police were out checking the documents of dive operators, checking crew and customers. Vis is maybe 20m and you wont see a diver wearing black in that.

Water temps have been from 26c to 22c. Second dive today was 22c for a min temp of the dive. I am in shorts and T shirt, guide is sucking air even wearing wet suit. He is shivering by 45 mins in. It gets better as we ascend into warmer waters for safety stops.

View attachment 820642View attachment 820643

View attachment 820644

22°C in January, that sounds great! 😃👍 Seems uncharacteristic for PB to be this low temp. @ this time of year. Geez , I hope stays that temp. till next month, wonder if Gili Mimpang & Tepekong are cooler temp also.

22°C in January, that sounds great! 😃👍
I Hope it is a little warmer in May.
:D
I am taking a 5mm anyway, it's only a problem when it's 38C suiting up.

On last dive last night I finally wore my sharkskin top. It's really warmer with that on. Bring it for dives today.
I have owned it several years never worn it on a dive but have brought it.

Absolute has very nice accommodation and restuarant. It is nice to stay where you dive to get to know the staff and the other divers better. But several of Geko Divers seem to stay at Absolute.

Puri Rai where I am staying has a nice large room and balcony. Good fridge and aircon. Mostly only me and guide so no other divers to hang out with. Today is exception 3 other divers coming for the day.

Well today three people who said they would join for diving did not turn up so no Nusa Penida trip.
So we did local sites again. Second dive when we got to 19m depth we got hit by a very fast down current going out to the sea. Not where you want to be for sure. Bubble trails going down is fun to see... sort of lol.

So I communicate to guide follow me and I went at a 45 degree angle to the current and hugged the slope getting behind outcrops to take a rest or get away from the current. Took us around 20 minutes to get from 19m to 5m for the safety stop.

I'm 63 so was a good workout. We get back on the boat and I've got around 90 bar. My guide Komang struggled more it seems and was back with 60 bar. Funny thing is he has to light up a cigarette as soon as he is on board. You can hear him coughing on the dives so I'm sure he's not in tip top shape but then again, neither am I.

So if you come to Padang Bai be prepared. Bring a powerful dive torch, bring a large wide and tall DSMB.
Tomorrow off to Tulamben for warmer water and no currents lol.

DIVE LOG.jpg

Well today three people who said they would join for diving did not turn up so no Nusa Penida trip.
So we did local sites again. Second dive when we got to 19m depth we got hit by a very fast down current going out to the sea. Not where you want to be for sure. Bubble trails going down is fun to see... sort of lol.

So I communicate to guide follow me and I went at a 45 degree angle to the current and hugged the slope getting behind outcrops to take a rest or get away from the current. Took us around 20 minutes to get from 19m to 5m for the safety stop.

I'm 63 so was a good workout. We get back on the boat and I've got around 90 bar. My guide Komang struggled more it seems and was back with 60 bar. Funny thing is he has to light up a cigarette as soon as he is on board. You can hear him coughing on the dives so I'm sure he's not in tip top shape but then again, neither am I.

So if you come to Padang Bai be prepared. Bring a powerful dive torch, bring a large wide and tall DSMB.
Tomorrow off to Tulamben for warmer water and no currents lol.

View attachment 820917
Good you both got back on board safely. Which dive site was it? I dived about 8 local dives around PB (no mimpis or Penida) in May last year and never had any strong currents. Diving in PB/Penida area every diver needs to carry a large DSMB AND know how to deploy it...I have read reports that lost divers have been out at sea overnight and even drifted towards Lombok when diving the area.

Good you both got back on board safely. Which dive site was it? I dived about 8 local dives around PB (no mimpis or Penida) in May last year and never had any strong currents. Diving in PB/Penida area every diver needs to carry a large DSMB AND know how to deploy it...I have read reports that lost divers have been out at sea overnight and even drifted towards Lombok when diving the area.

I checked today it was White Beach. It is known that it can get down currents. I guess known what times the tides change also helps. Today we did Blue Lagoon and the Drop Off again and I controlled the dives just let the guide tag along. First dive max depth around 25m but mostly stayed at 20m. I'm like OK on Nitrox 30%, will just do a square profile dive.

I'm liking my Cressi even more.. after 30 mins into this dive at 20m 121 bar left, my device tells me at current depth and current gas consumption I have 30 minutes to 50 bar. Top right corner where it says range. So too bad if the guide's Suunto wont let him stay at that depth for the dive. Did not calculate sac rate but had a tank with 215 bar starting.

Todays water temps was 24c

P1160023.JPG

Tulamben from Padang Bai by car around 90 mins. Road is busy with traffic both ways OK the guide asked would I dive there with him. So I turn up and see 6 tanks. Great he knows I want to do three dives a day. No strong currents to worry about ( slight current on second dive )

Only to find out once we are driving there are two dives as he invited a local friend who lives in Padang Bai but has not dived Tulamben before. Not really what was expected or asked about beforehand.

Liberty wreck was good dive again but dang, oily oily looking water was thermoclines.... in one part 27c put your hand into the water column and dang 23c.. so it did get cold in parts of the wreck. Was fun watching other divers suddenly get into the cold water and watch their reaction. Me in T shirt and shorts again... oops lol

Really good varied marine life on all parts of the wreck.

I checked today it was White Beach. It is known that it can get down currents. I guess known what times the tides change also helps. Today we did Blue Lagoon and the Drop Off again and I controlled the dives just let the guide tag along. First dive max depth around 25m but mostly stayed at 20m. I'm like OK on Nitrox 30%, will just do a square profile dive.

I'm liking my Cressi even more.. after 30 mins into this dive at 20m 121 bar left, my device tells me at current depth and current gas consumption I have 30 minutes to 50 bar. Top right corner where it says range. So too bad if the guide's Suunto wont let him stay at that depth for the dive. Did not calculate sac rate but had a tank with 215 bar starting.

Todays water temps was 24c

View attachment 821363
I was lucky as when we dived White Beach, there were no currents to speak of. I recall seeing lots of Green and Hawksbill turtles on that dive. Yes, 24-25 degrees was par for the course on my PB dives. Some fantastic wall diving there I think at Drop-Off if i'm remembering right.

Tulamben from Padang Bai by car around 90 mins. Road is busy with traffic both ways OK the guide asked would I dive there with him. So I turn up and see 6 tanks. Great he knows I want to do three dives a day. No strong currents to worry about ( slight current on second dive )

Only to find out once we are driving there are two dives as he invited a local friend who lives in Padang Bai but has not dived Tulamben before. Not really what was expected or asked about beforehand.

Liberty wreck was good dive again but dang, oily oily looking water was thermoclines.... in one part 27c put your hand into the water column and dang 23c.. so it did get cold in parts of the wreck. Was fun watching other divers suddenly get into the cold water and watch their reaction. Me in T shirt and shorts again... oops lol

Really good varied marine life on all parts of the wreck.
Did you see the massive 2 meter grouper that lurks in the bowels of the wreck! I about jumped out of my rashguard the first time I saw it! Also, tons of macro on the sandy slope on the swim to the wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom