Packing for Live Aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those Command wall hanger/hook things are awesome! You can stick them on any surface so you can hang cords, drying bathing suits, or whatever else you'd like out of the way - and when you're done they come off without leaving a mark.

I know you didn't want dive gear recommendations but make sure you bring warm layers for diving. It might be warm on the surface but not so much underwater. Some of the coldest thermoclines I have experienced have been in the Sea of Cortez. Down to 68-72
LMAO to coldest thermoclines o 68-70 degrees, I'm used to that as a GREAT surface temp

LMAO to coldest thermoclines o 68-70 degrees, I'm used to that as a GREAT surface temp

More targeted to the OP but you’d be surprised with repetitive diving, 4-5 dives a day for 7-12 days on liveaboards, not missing a dive, while spending surface intervals on the open ocean where it can sometimes be windy/cloudy will make that water feel colder. Your core isn’t what it normally is. It is very apparent even when diving waters that are high 70’s to mid 80’s and then hitting a thermocline like that, especially if it’s sustained during the dive. I wouldn’t discredit it completely, having been in this situation myself many times if you’re planning exposure protection for the “normal” temps of your destination. It’s common for folks to layer on as the trip progresses if that happens.

Also, warm water (i suppose that’s relative) doesn’t mean everything sometimes. Take the Red Sea in winter and spring. Water temperatures are not that cold, so to speak, but the surface conditions are and that is what really saps the warmth from people on liveaboards. I was in Indonesia recently and had mid 70’s to low 80’s in Ambon but after so many days of diving, cool surface conditions - it’s no wonder they only served hot tea and coffee between dives. Everyone felt it. In another part (south Komodo) we went down to the mid to high 60’s thermoclines. Eep!

You’d be surprised with repetitive diving, 4-5 dives a day for 7-12 days on liveaboards, not missing a dive, while spending surface intervals on the open ocean where it can sometimes be windy/cloudy will make that water feel colder. Your core isn’t what it normally is. It is very apparent even when diving waters that are high 70’s to mid 80’s and then hitting a thermocline like that, especially if it’s sustained during the dive. I wouldn’t discredit it completely, having been in this situation myself many times if you’re planning exposure protection for the “normal” temps of your destination. It’s common for folks to layer on as the trip progresses if that happens.
I'm Iot discounting this person's experience or comfort level. I apologise if I seemed dismissive or disrespectful, it wasn't my intention. I've done 3 a day for multiple days off the Carolinas in similar temps and understand what you are saying. After a week and a half of Cozumel diving, the cenotes took my breath away when I jumped in. I was fine after the initial shock, but it was shocking. Quarries here in PA may have a 70 surface temp and low to kid 40s after the thermoclines. So again I was just amused at the statement of it being the coldest thermocline that they had encountered.

I'm Iot discounting this person's experience or comfort level. I apologise if I seemed dismissive or disrespectful, it wasn't my intention. I've done 3 a day for multiple days off the Carolinas in similar temps and understand what you are saying. After a week and a half of Cozumel diving, the cenotes took my breath away when I jumped in. I was fine after the initial shock, but it was shocking. Quarries here in PA may have a 70 surface temp and low to kid 40s after the thermoclines. So again I was just amused at the statement of it being the coldest thermocline that they had encountered.

thank you for clarifying :) you are a gentleman!

At least two of these clips in the photo. I bring minimum 4 myself. I clip my bathing suits and my rash guards even on a hanger. I've seen bathing suits (or pieces of same) go missing when only tied onto the bar/hangar.

I've found comfy sundresses to be great items to have aboard. They fold or roll into nothing and can cover well if need be.

Screenshot_20200131-172305_Chrome.jpg

I cannot emphasize enough "lycra socks" for inside your booties

A neoprene hood or at minimum a beanie. Always better to have and not need than need and not have

I'm only doing this post for emphasis because the items set out in this post have most things covered very well.

More bathing suits! I like that idea of one more than the number of dives you do a day. I usually have 5 with me and since I wear tankinis, I may even throw in some extra bottoms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom