Packing for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willie

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since this is my first extended dive trip, any advice would be appreciated. I am used to packing light for flying, dont need much in the way of clothes, etc.

I figured I would take two bags, one packed and one carryon.
Checked bag
clothes, other non-critical items​
Carry On
Essential personal items, camera stuff, reg, dive computer, 1 days worth of clothes. Maybe mask, snorkel, fins if they fit.​
Sound reasonable? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Willie

I'm assuming you'll be on a non-stop flight to Coz. If so, there's little chance of your luggage going AWOL. I pack all dive gear, including regs, and clothes in one bag. In my carry on is camera gear, log book, dive computer and RX mask. These things I can't/won't rent or replace when I get there. Your dive gear.... while we all prefer our own, you can always rent gear, including regs. Our first few trips we also took regs in carry on but you soon learn that's just not necessary.

Have a great time!

Make sure you pack sunscreen as it is pretty expensive there. Have a great time in Coz. I wish I were going back.

ch0ppersrule:
Make sure you pack sunscreen as it is pretty expensive there.

So are batteries, bug repellant (although I've never had to use repellant).

Since this is your first trip I imagine you'll want a few souvenirs. Items are cheaper the farther from town you get. There is a little shop on the windy side of the island that is fairly cheap. And try not to do much shopping when the cruise ships are docked, you can haggle better deals when the pod people are not there.

Dee covered about everything on packing. Go light on the clothes, usually just short pants and t-shirts.

Give us some more details on your trip! Are you doing a charter flight, what hotel ya stayin' at, which dive op. you using, etc.?

If you haven't already seen it, take a look at [thread=102714]Christi's restaurant list[/thread] in the Coz. forum.

Have fun!

Dress is very casual unless you are staying at one of the all-inclusives that have dress codes at their 'reservation only' restaurants. I usually take some aloha style shirts for going out to dinner because I think they are more comfortable and cooler than a t-shirt. They actually pack smaller than t-shirts also.

Christi's restaurant list is a great source for dining suggestions. I'd go with Mike's suggestions for shopping, BTW how does a guy named Mike become the original Cozumel 'James'? But I digress.

I usually carry our regs, (out of habbit) & my camera case and pack the rest of the scuba eq. and clothes.

Most basic items can be bought at Chedraui (sp?) the local supermarket/wall-mart. It may or may not be a little more expensive than at home, but at least you don't have to lug it around your baggage. Those little things can add up the weight quick. This is also a great place to go to and stock up your hotel room fridge with drinks and snacks to save some money.

sharky60:
I usually carry our regs, (out of habbit) & my camera case and pack the rest of the scuba eq. and clothes.

I carry regs. in carry-on out of habit also, first time I was in Coz. I meet a couple that had lost their luggage and had to rent equip. Even though it's a non-stop flight for me I still do it...even though I have Samsonite luggage I still don't trust the baggage "Gorillas." :D

sharky60:
Most basic items can be bought at Chedraui (sp?) the local supermarket/wall-mart. It may or may not be a little more expensive than at home, but at least you don't have to lug it around your baggage. Those little things can add up the weight quick. This is also a great place to go to and stock up your hotel room fridge with drinks and snacks to save some money.

I really like that place since it opened up; used to have to go to a little mom & pop store or the grocery by the gas station.

sharky60:
BTW how does a guy named Mike become the original Cozumel 'James'? But I digress.

There is a story behind that. On one of the dive videos from there we previewed the tape, and on the credits the videographer had my name down as James for some reason. This was one of the trips I was on with my OW instructor and he immediately nicknamed me Cozumel James. :D

But this is hijacking the thread.

I did find the trip post under Vis. at CSSP...trip is through Adventure tours and diving is with Martin I think.

Willie, give more info.!!!

sealskin98:
There is a story behind that. On one of the dive videos from there we previewed the tape, and on the credits the videographer had my name down as James for some reason. This was one of the trips I was on with my OW instructor and he immediately nicknamed me Cozumel James. :D
Pretty funny story.

trip is through Adventure tours and diving is with Martin I think.

Willie, give more info.!!!
That is correct. My LDS owner/instructor has known Martin for 15+ years. We are staying at the Casa Del Mar hotel. Our flight is a Ryan Air B727 charter, non-stop out of DFW, arriving 1045am.

I can hardly wait. I got a new digital camera & underwater housing is supposed to arrive on Monday. :)

Willie

Well im getting ready for my trip to Tulum in jan so now im going throw all of my dive gear trying to figure out what to bring.
im going to be diving with Mayadiving.net and cant figure out what to bring.

carry on---- regs-computer/compass-log book-camera-mask

divebag---- wing+p/b.- fins-johnline-uwater slates.

should i bring my lights(small back-up type) dive knife-thigh pocket-reg tool kit-diver marker-spool
im going to do cavern/cave diving.(lights i think is a must.)

am i missing anything?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom