packign your rig for travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Help!!

I'm pulling my hair out

I just bought a entire DSLR set up, consiting of a Ikelite Housing, dual DS-125 strobes, everything to shoot beautiful UW pics.

I been watching what everyone on the local dive charters have been using for bringing their gear onto the croweded dive boats.

I seen a bunch of people using soft coolers, and I thought, what a great idea!

I can't find any that will accomadate the rig. I seen people use soft coolers, beach bags, for large beach towels, etc, and of course, the ol Pelican cases, which are hugh, and just not effictive for a crowded dive charter.

Any idea's, I'm just about ready to start lugging my rig around,and would like to do it safeley, and not to crowd the dive boat with all my luggage, any ideas????

Why can't you find a cooler? I've gotten mine at Walmart and Target. Seen 'em at Kmart and camping places, too. They make them in all sizes so you should be able to find something.

For our local diving here I use one of those plastic square milk crates with a layer of foam on the bottom. I put a beach towel over the foam, lower my rig into the crate and use the beach towel to pad and cover. Works a treat. Lots of places have plastic tubs/bins that would work, too, just get a heavier duty plastic than those flimsy things you shove under the bed.

It may ne to big, I'll probley go with the 48 qt, I just measured my rig, and looks like that will fit it

Nice website, I always look for your pics, keep up the great work, we enjoy them!

I have a Nikon P5000, Ikelite housing & DS125 strobe + all spare parts in a softside cooler. I bought foam, cored it out to the shape of the parts and it is now protected and it all fits very nicely together this. Just my 2 PSI.

Attachments

• DSCN0538.JPG
    DSCN0538.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN0539.JPG
    DSCN0539.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 46
Apparently I do not know how to insert pictures...Sorry everybody

DSCN0538.gif

DSCN0539.gif

debersole:
I use a soft bag from Underwater Phototech for my DSLR with housing and strobes. I got it after seeing the one that professional underwater photographer (and friend) Walt Stearns uses. Check this out at www.uwphoto.com

http://www.uwphoto.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=94&cat=18&page=1

You can even fill it with water to rinse your rig after diving.

Doug

Hey Doug, It's Marco :)

Thanks for the reply, as always, your a great help!!

I'll let you know when I'm ready to do the training for the sport kiss, I'm thinking for sure by next year

give me a shout somtime if your on the East coast , and want a buddy, I'm always up for some diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom