Package Deal. Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to this board, but given all the awesome advice and information I've been reading for the past few days I figured this would be my best bet for quality responses.
I've been certified OW for 3 years now, and will be getting AOW soon and then next may I'm off to train to become an instructor. Because I plan on diving a lot in the next couple of years I wanted to get my own gear. The instructor program I will be attending has a special offer on gear for incoming students. The deal is strictly ScubaPro equipment and is as follows:

Knighthawk BCD
ScubaPro MK25/s100 regulator
ScubaPro R295 octopus
Aladin 2G dive computer
ScubaPro frameless mask
ScubaPro Twin Jet fins
ScubaPro Thermal Tec Steamer wetsuit
boots, gloves and a snorkel
Utility Knife
UWATEC Guages
and a ScubaPro Duffel Wheeler gear bag

The total cost of the package is $1700.

Now, from what I understand this is a pretty good deal, but there are a few things I didnt like about it.
I love the BCD and the Reg set, but from what I understand, the Aladin computers arent the best of the bunch. Buying this set also means that I dont get to pick a wetsuit with the best fit (only size) and same goes for the mask.

What does everyone think? Should I go for this deal, or take the time to assemble my own kit. I am a college student currently and so money is kind of a big issue, but I want to make sure I have a solid set that I can use to train and then work as an instructor.

What kind are the conditions you dive in? Are you sure it's an S100 primary but have a 295 as your octo? Also the UWATEC guages does not mean to me computer, what computer are you getting that makes you say Aladin? If it's the Galileo buy the package, keep it and sell everything else.
All that gear for $1700 isn't bad but I don't think it's the list of gear I'd be using if I was really going to be an instructor. I dive almost strictly Scubapro but I'd recommend spending a little more for better kit. My $0.02.

S100 or S600 ?

I also think you're getting the Aladdin Tec 2G in the console together with all the other gauges. If you're going to be taught how to teach then this probably makes sense since you're going to be discussing these instruments with potential students. I say it's a good deal IMHO.

I'm also a Scubapro fan and believe you can't go wrong with Scubapro. However, I don't like package deals because I like to pick and choose exactly what I want. You can buy quite a bit of good gear for $1700 if you shop around.

Did you mean MK25/S600 reg set? That's a very high quality set, but I prefer the sealed diaphragm MK17 as matter of personal choice.

Does that include the sales tax,

I second realdiver7, an environmentally seal first stage would be better. The dive computer and gauge, is it a wrist mount and a separate console for the gauge. Or is it on all in one console?

Thanks for the replies. Yea you are right, that was a typo, it a MK25/S600. Ill be diving in mostly in warm waters. And I believe the computer is wrist mounted (but I'm not sure). I think I've decided to buy stuff individually. I know it might be a little more expensive but at least it will stuff that I want. Thanks again for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom