Pacific Star boat - 2nd update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveguy600

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I had created a thread about this boat that supposedly ended up with a happy resolution but it was not to be. I am absolutely appalled at this operation and they deserve the worst rating ever. To recall in brief what had happened to us, my GF had secured a "deal" offered by Pacific Star through LivingSocial for a half off dive. She had called them to make reservations and they had confirmed us for the dives. We spent an entire afternoon at Sport Chalet renting gear for her and picking up tanks for both of us, woke up the next day (on the weekend!) at 4am, drove all the way to San Pedro from Orange County only to find out that these guys STOOD US UP! The rental costs at Sport Chalet were a TOTAL LOSS ($60+) as Sport Chalet refused to refund us the money saying that it was very unfortunate but it was not their charter so their hands are tied.

I came here on Scubaboard and complained and suddenly out of the blue they became interested in resolving this situation. They offered us both a FREE dive with FREE rental gear anytime "as their guests" as they phrased the email. My GF tried several times to schedule a dive but all calls were unanswered, all emails were unanswered and generally they just plain avoided any contact.

This is NO WAY to treat customers! I am just in shock really, the first time it happened I was super upset but calmed down after their "gesture", now after the second time it makes this beyond egregious! :no: Apparently they don't give a F*** about either their customers or their word.

My GF has a very tight budget and because of the money she lost earlier and also the almost $150 she wasn't able to get back from LivingSocial for the promo cost of the 2 dives (she got back LivingSocial bux not her cash) it really is a financial sting for her.

I would rate Pacific Star Dive Boat an F.

Too bad. When PAC star was is king harbor it was my favorite op (being minutes from my house helps).

Never had any issues regarding cancellation refunds.

Sorry to hear that.

Bummer! Seems to be not getting fixed for you. LivingSocial last year had some Catalina Flyer 1/2 off deal and for every one that logged in on an account that account was credited another 4 bucks off. It was a scammish over booked deal. Lots of tickets expired because of overfilled Flyer boats. The Catalina Express said they'd honor the tickets in 2012 but not at the 1/2 off rate, but the normal rate so that 33 dollar ticket was another 33 more dollars instead of the full price. SCAM. I hear a lot of these boats like the Pacific Star just takes a long time to respond in certain situations. I know people that they will respond to right away. If you want to see if they can get through for you, write back, or pm. How many dives do you and your GF have? Do you still have to rent all your gear? The reason I'm asking, is I can ask our Captain if it's cool for you 2 to come out diving local PV dives with us. Free. Gear would be nice for you both to have. Tanks we possibly can supply. You'd be my responsibility, so I gotta know how much experience you guys got. PM if you want to. Sort of a way to get over the deal.

First off, if they messed up by offering deals that they cannot honor then perhaps they should shut down their business and try their hand at something else instead of wasting people's time and testing their patience. Secondly, we gave them about 2 weeks and several follow ups to respond so AMPLE opportunity...it's not like I am posting this because they did not respond in 24hrs!

And finally because they MESSED UP with us the first time, the second time around they should've kept us in mind and responded promptly! It is beyond ridiculous!

The reason many businesses fail is not because of the "economy" or whatever. The reason is that they have zero concept of consumere/customer service.

Too bad. When PAC star was is king harbor it was my favorite op (being minutes from my house helps)....

I had heard that the reason the Pacific Star left King Harbor was brcause they were "kicked out" for non-payment or late-payment of rent. This story was heard from multiple reliable sources in the business (Boat/Diving). However, never confirmed.

Just to put in an update, my GF finally completed her first boat dive with EcoDive center on the Magician. EcoDive was absolutely fantastic to deal with and the magician dive boat was outstanding as usual :) My BCD even had a valve issue - the valve was not properly screwed on (damn Sport Chalet who serviced it! :mad:) and the captain volunteered his time to fix it for me, which he did...how cool is that :wink:

If I were to give a piece of advise here it would be to AVOID Pacific Star like the plague!

I like the Magician for the Nitrox capability. The crew is friendly and competent, it's just that all they have to cook grubs with is an electric grill.

And what is it with Sport Chalet and these dump valves on the BC? One of the members here also had an issue with the valve not properly screwed on as well.

ECO Dive is a nice run operation.
I use the Magician often and it has been good.
DM's helpful, breakfast decent, lunch nice, snacks okay, bunks are comfortable, and fills are quick and at 3000, although I would prefer 3500, but that's okay.
They offer Nitox at $10 fill, but I've never used it.
Glad you and your girlfriend had a good time.

I've never been a big fan of the Pacific Star in general. The deck is awkward when the boat is full, their ability to fill tanks (2+ hour surface intervals at times because the compressor doesn't run well - don't even get me started on their nitrox filling capabilities) and the general demeanor of the captain and his crew (all his sons) and the swim step makes getting out of the water fully laden in tech kit impossible. That said, there's been so much bad press on Groupon/LivingSocial/OtherDealSite.com that I wonder how much of it was just another story of someone underestimating the demand for something on the cheap (not an excuse, mind you - but it seems to be a common thread).

On the flip side, the food is good and the bunks are comfortable.

Sorry you got stood up. Good news is that there are lots of good boats in our neck of the woods (being SoCal in general) that you shouldn't have too much trouble finding more opportunities to have a better experience.

Back
Top Bottom