Pacific northwest diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacificDiverNw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So first off. Since a two piece farmer John provides thick core protection because the pants go up and over lap with your top do you think this could be a suit that could be worn in the pugit sound (~50 degrees Fahrenheit ). It is a 7mm suit, and covers the whole body( except feet and head of course. And also on another note. Could a 3mm fullsuit be layered under a farmer john,thats probably a silly question but it never hurts to ask. Thanks for the feedback, hopefully!

Yes, a 2 piece 7mm farmer john works well in Puget sound. That's what the several hundred students I've trained here have worn and they've been fine. Hood, boots and gloves are needed though.

Another suit can be layered underneath, but it's not really necessary and would restrict movement.

If you want to make more than 2-4 dives per day for multiple days, get a drysuit.

Great news, and the hood and gloves would be 7mm too?

Last edited:
As scubamarketing does, we also certify the majority of our students in 7 mil Farmer Johns. My husband dove one for about six months, when he was first diving with me. He concluded that, for one dive, they're fairly comparable to a dry suit. Where the dry suit is handy is when outside air temperatures are low, or if you are doing multiple dives. Most of us do end up owning them, if we dive regularly here. (Water temps will drop into the mid to low 40's in the winter.)

Great news, and the good and gloves would be 7mm too?

Diving down to 5c - 7c, I use a 5mm hood, gloves and boots with a 7mm john. I have also done so to 3c - 4c, but I think that is more approaching drysuit territory - 20-25 minutes on a single dive is enough diving wet for me at those temps.

YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom