Pacific Dive Shop-very unimpressive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sober

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well I just recieved my OWC and was going to be in Maui on business with one day to dive. So I called around and booked a 2 tank shore dive with Pacific Dive shop. gace them my CC and all in advance. Stopped in the day before and was told all was fine. Well, all was not fine as they did not secure a divemaster and ended up sending me for a quick dive in the harbor with a divemaster who had a couple of hours until he took out a boat client. My two dive day turned into a one single dive-very dissapointing on that side. Yes, I did get to dive once and that was fun but the people in the store just did not seem to care that I booked with them and they blew me off. I even asked if they could suggest anyone I could hook up with or hire for the afternoon-they said nope, no idea. So much for ever suggesting Pacific Dive Shop to anyone. To bad, next time I will go with someone else. I am sure there are shops out there who care about clients.
Now I don't want to bad mouth them but they really dissapointed a new diver-who does get to Maui every few months-apparently they just do not give a ****.
Steve

Sorry to hear you were not impressed - they've always treated me well, and while there may be an occasional snag in schedule (someone gets sick, etc..) they've always treated referrals I've sent them well too. Their reputation for being one of the friendliest shops on the west side is well known, and I've seen them bend over backwards to get folks in the water numerous times in the past... plus they've saved a lot of dives for me too - sorry that was not your experience.

btw - when you say you dove in the Harbor, I assume you mean Mala Wharf? If so, that is one of my favorite sites here, though vis is rarely incredible there, the life and structure are cool... and over the past couple weeks conditions near Lahaina have definitely been "sub-optimal" :S oh well ... weather is clearing up finally and the good vis appears to be coming back again :)

Aloha, Tim

Sorry to hear that Steve. I know it's not an excuse but everyone gets a sour gallon of milk or a skunked beer now and then and it can kind off suck when you have your heart set on something that should have been awesome. How were the conditions? (I was gone all last week.) When it's rough you certainly end up with fewer sites to pick from. That could have had something to do with it.

Give me a heads up next time you're coming to Maui. I know some good spots and I'd like to help make sure you get to see them.

Aloha Steve,

I just got back to the island from a conference in Las Vegas and was told by one of our regular divers about your post to Scubaboard.com. I am sorry that you did not get the promised two dives you had scheduled for. I contacted the instructor that was supposed to work that day and apparently he was very ill. I am glad that Patrick was able to cover for a dive and get you into the water, especially to Mala Ramp. Again, I am sorry that you did not get into the water for two dives and hope your next trip to Maui for diving is better.

Mahalo,
Piper

Thanks Doug, I appreciate your comments and agree that things sometimes jsut work out that way. I will take you up on your offer next time I am in Maui.
Steve

Yes, we were at Mala Warf, Vis was decent but again I am so knew that I just might not know good from not so good. I would estimate about 40 feet. Did see some neat stuff, turtles, white tips and leaf fish, lots of goat fish and a few Jacks. I did hear the water was less than optimal right now.
Thanks for your reply

Piper,
I appreciate your reponse-just to clarify, I had no issue with Patrick at all. He seemed to have been stuck with me at the last minute and did get me in the water. Nobody told me anything about anybody being ill. This would have been a good explanation. It seemed to me that I was cut down to one dive due to the fact that I was the only one signed up for shore dives that day-just my gut feeling here. I would have also hoped the employees could have possibly assisted me a bit in suggesting another shop that might have been able to accomodate me for a 2nd or third dive that day. Instead I recieved a shoulder shrug.
No matter, we will all get over it. Hopefully my comments will assist in your future client relations.
Steve

I just got back from Maui myself. I was going to write a mini review of my trip in a bit.

I did use Pacific Dive to rent my gear. I was more than impressed with the customer service there. The weather / Viz this trip was not as good as previous trips. We had decided that we were going to skip one day and see if the weather would clear up a bit. We went to Pacific Dive to return the gear, and explained we would be back in a couple of days, if the weather cooperated, to get the gear. Instead they told us we could just hang onto the gear, and they wouldn't charge us the extra day. I was very pleased with them. I also needed some parts while I was there, and they were helpfull with that as well.

It seems that at least they provided you an explanation, although I agree it would had been better if they told you that when it happened. If I were you I would give them another chance. Everyone has their off days.

I know who I will be using for gear, tanks and weights when I return.

Thanks Stacey, Glad you had a better trip than I did. They really did not give me an explanation until I posted this thread. In fact what I needed was diving assistance and not an explanation. That is waht the store did not give me. As far as I am concerned good customer service would have been to atleast suggest some other places I might try and work with for a last minute afternoon dive.
But like I said before-no matter, everyone has off days and there are plenty of dive shops

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom