P-Valve Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I bought my drysuit, the Owner of the LDS gave me two options, one was a P-valve, which he reccomended not to do. The other option was to buy a package of depends, and you go about it that way. I personally can hold myself untill the end of a dive, but when the time comes I would go the route of depends, over a p-valve.

That's obviously advice from someone who has never used a p-valve. I have been using a (homemade) p-valve for years with absolutely no problems (except the one time when I forgot to close the bolt and didn't have the plumbing connected). While I can generally "hold" it why would you want the discomfort when it's so easily solved. I don't even know why they make mens suits without p-valves.

Hunter

Well he has said no p-valve just because of the chance for it to leak. He says he has never had any problems with depends, but reccomended them over the valve.

Well he has said no p-valve just because of the chance for it to leak. He says he has never had any problems with depends, but reccomended them over the valve.

Shucks, I have a pee valve because of the possibility of leaking. Taking a leak, that is.

Never had a problem with Depends? Gosh, my Depends always get wet and clammy when I use them, feels like I'm a little kid in a wet diaper.

I think that says a lot about a person when they prefer the feeling of a wet, stinky, clammy diaper to a nice dry drysuit. I lost my preference for wet diapers when i was about.....1 to 2 years old.

BTW, did you know that Senator Bob Dole is now a spokesman for Depends diapers? We should start calling him "Square Bob Sponge Pants."

seems many of you love your P valves... Interesting to find a DIY solution

What's the best way to cut the access port through the suit? I'm assuming a hole punch?

I've always used a soldering iron.

i drew on the suit with a pen using the hole in the valve as a template & cut it with sharp little scissors.

For me to have to urinate through a pee-valve the dive would have to be 3-4 hours long. I'm amazed that people would cut a hole in their drysuits deliberately because they don't want to pee right before the dive.

Technical divers may have some needs for this, but I can't see the vast majority of divers making two hours+ dives frequently enough to justify a hole in their precious drysuit.

The drysuit hole from a p-valve should be the least of your concerns. It's the same as on the exhaust and inflator valves on the suit - grommeted and sealed - and performed correctly, there's little concern for leaking. Seals, seams, zippers and wear spots are all WAY higher on the list of concerns.

It's not just about long dives, it's also about hydration. Before getting a p-valve, I'd often drink only what I thought I could handle, and there were plenty of times after a 1-hour dive when I was jetting back to shore for need of a restroom. With a p-valve, I can hydrate up as much as I want, up to the minute of walking into the water, with no worries at all.

Most recreational divers probably don't *need* a p-valve, but once you have it, you wonder how you lived without it.

Some of us think hydration is a key component in minimizing DCS risk. If I'm on a live aboard, I'm pretty well hydrated and peeing every hour, at least. I pee before, after and during.

BTW, dry suits all have at least three gaping holes in them straight from the factory. The interface between the valve and the suit has been the least problematic of any of the seals in my experience.

I'm amazed that people would dehydrate themselves, rather than step up to a PV.

For me to have to urinate through a pee-valve the dive would have to be 3-4 hours long. I'm amazed that people would cut a hole in their drysuits deliberately because they don't want to pee right before the dive.

Technical divers may have some needs for this, but I can't see the vast majority of divers making two hours+ dives frequently enough to justify a hole in their precious drysuit.

i'm not a tech diver. I am just a recreational diver that likes to be nice and warm (and as dry as possible) while diving in cold water and especially in cold weather.

I got DCS sysmtoms once because I was dehydrated prior to a dive. The summer temps here run near 115 and even without a wetsuit (or drysuit) you get very hot with no shade around the dive site. I did not keep up my fluid intake while waiting for my dive buddy while waiting in the hot sun in the desert. You sweat a lot but it evaporates quickly so you don't realize how much you have lost. My fault, but it taught me a valuable lesson. Keep hydrated (especially at altitude like here and before and after a dive).

For this reason I ordered my new drysuit with a built in p-valve so I won't have to worry about staying hydrated. Additionally, I am no Spring chicken anymore and have the usual issues with after-50 plumbing so a pee valve is not just a "nice to have" it is a necessity if I want to be in the suit longer than a half an hour being fully hydrated.

As for holes in the suit...I am sure I will have my share of seal leaks long before the P-valve is an issue. My p-valve is designed to come off the suit for cleaning so that gives me a chance to examine it for potential leakage issues whenever I use the valve. I can also remove it and plug the hole if need be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom