P-Valve Hose Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
From another thread:
There are two ways to do hose routing. Either in a straight line (gravity positions the "little guy") or with the hose going up, then doing a U to come back down (direct the "little guy" with your underwear).

I took advantage of the hose length that came with my valve and used the "U" method for 250 dives with mixed success. I am considering cutting the hose in half and trying the "straight line" method. I assume this would create less back pressure and less potential for internal leaking.

What routing system do most p-valve users prefer?

I route up . The reason I have not routed down is I'm thinkink that when you arch back or bend forward the norprenes inability to stretch and compress could cause some discomfort or worse, disconnection. :shocked2:
Most people I have talked to route up. I can't say that I know anyone that routes down.
When I started using a pee valve, the norprenes rigidity wanted to straighten out and would kink the condom at the connection to the norprene tubing. To prevent that I use a piece of string tied to each side of the U's legs to hold the shape and not kink the condom. I was recently advised to trim the condoms end to eliminate the chance of kinking at the condom. I will try it on my next dive with the pee valve.
I'm curious how it works out for you. PM me with your results.

fish, i don't see any change in the chances of internal leaking with a shorter hose. what problems are you having with the 'u'?

what problems are you having with the 'u'?

Hypothesis: Greater hose length+U-bend=increased back pressure and greater chance of condom adhesion failure (particularly when "discharging" while standing.)

At the risk of sharing TMI, I suspect my failure rate is higher than most enthusiastic valve users and I want to reduce it.

condom adhesion failure

What Condom are you using? Ever since getting away from Freedom Condoms and switching to Rochester Medical I've had NO issues with condom adhesion failure!

If you are using Freedom Condoms then that is your problem.

From another thread:

I took advantage of the hose length that came with my valve and used the "U" method for 250 dives with mixed success. I am considering cutting the hose in half and trying the "straight line" method. I assume this would create less back pressure and less potential for internal leaking.

What routing system do most p-valve users prefer?

First of all it's hunk of hose so if you want to experiment go for it.

As for back pressure, you can't possibly have enough flow to have noticeable effect from an extra foot or so of hose. In my limited experience the risk is of having an inadvertent kink. Once you recognize the possible causes it's much easier IMO to be sure the routing is clean with the up & over method. On top of that it gives me a cleaner break when it's time to disconnect the QD.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom