P&S shutterlag--which has the least ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mintaka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As far as point and shoot cameras go , does one type have any less than another ? I have been considering the Canon G10 setup, but having just used a borrowed Sealife P&S (for my first UW photo experience), I really wonder if I wouldnt be better off with a DSLR. I got a few decent pics, but I also got a lot of fish tails !
I've seen a lot of good pics with P&S so I'm also wondering if one doesnt learn how to anticipate and compensate for the lag ?
I'm aware that DSLRs have their own set of challenges.

I just found the P&S lag comparison table on another post. However, any comments will be appreciated. I'm sure that this is a frequent topic and I do plan on reading through a lot of old posts.

Shutter lag - There are so many variables involved and some tricks to compensate for it.

Cameras change so frequently it is near impossible to keep up with the features. The more recent the model the less shutter lag, in theory.

DSLR versus prosumer is comparing night and day. The cost difference alone is huge.

Focusing your camera on a particular spot then waiting for the fish to re-enter that spot will help you from getting "fish tail" shots.

IMHO you should buy one of the more recent prosumer cameras that have the wider 28mm lens and the ability to shoot in full manual mode. That will narrow down the choices quite a bit. It will leave you with a camera that can take a wider angle shot from close-up and control over the F stops and shutter speeds versus shooting everything in "auto".

An external strobe is a major plus and may be necessary right from the start depending on the brand of housing. For example the Canon G10 in an Ikelite housing will require an external strobe because the size of the lens port blocks the cameras internal strobe. This is only one thing to consider when getting ready to buy.

IMHO you should not buy a strobe that does not have a built-in focus/target light or you will end up having to add one for night dives and for some dark locations on day dives. Just another piece of equipment to deal with. Without one the camera lens cannot focus because it does not have enough ambient light. The Inon D-2000, Sea & Sea YS110 Alpha and some of the Ikelite strobes have target lights. Just something else to factor in when buying. There is a thread here on Inon discontinuing its Inon America rep. Something else to consider for any warranty work as the Item may have to be shipped back to Japan.

Yes it all gives you a headache. Me too as I am looking to upgrade my camera and replace my dead strobe.

PS: The newly released or soon to be released Canon SX200IS has a 28mm lens, a 3" monitor and manual controls. The only problem is there is no housing for it at this time. Ikelite may, and hopefully will make one. Canon will likely not because the camera has a pop-up flash. I think that camera in an Ike housing with a Sea & Sea YS110 Alpha strobe is sweet and will be around $1000. for all.

Happy hunting.

I think an even bigger issue is the amount of time it takes to focus. Taking photos of a moving fish with a compact camera will always be difficult, because it takes longer to focus, then you have shutter lag on top of that.

Using a strong light like a UK light cannon shining on the subject will help you achieve focus faster.

Also, on some subjects you can prefocus by pressing the shutter half-way, but this works better on stationary objects.

>> I really wonder if I wouldnt be better off with a DSLR.

well there are thousands of threads on this discussion. Of course you are better off with a dSLR, if you are trying to avoid fish butts, but then your wallet will be much lighter :)

Last edited:
Compared to the film cameras I am used to all digital crap is slooooooow. The Oly 770SW I have is g---awful slow, the Canon 570s I have are fast. I push the button, they fire. I have set up the control functions in the menu sub-functions to optimize speed. Focus is no big deal with the wide angle lens I shoot with because focus is from dome port to infinity so I set all the evaluative focus and exposure off also. I use an external strobe so I set the flash to lowest power, got rid of the preflash and red eye and with all that the Canon 570 sot of acts like a real camera instead of a digi snapper.

Is there some reason camera manufactures cannot produce a simple/Manual/Auto only digital mini range finder with dials and simple selectable via dials modes? I am so sick of menus I could go on a rampage and attack Canon and Nikon.

Whats is up with you guys and RAW, hacked on my Canon, yawn, all it does is slow write times. Cameras seem to have advanced in storage, jpeg programing and sophistication to the point RAW is no longer needed but by the geekiest photogs.

My bet is that compared to the Canon A Series the Sea Life is a Yugo in a fancy housing.

dSLR, Canon I think it was:

RobandBryanatAlexander1.jpg

P&S, same day and same place:

P3270019.jpg

P3270022.jpg

P3280118.jpg

I bought three Canon 570IS, two on close out, one under 150 and one for 109, I think it was and a third for 18 dollars on eBay, I forget exactly, can you say cheap?

I hate slr cameras.

N

PS to a PS:

The Nikon Coolpix P6000 with 28mm, manual controls and 2.7" monitor in a Fantasea housing with a Sea & Sea YS110 Alpha strobe is also a sweet setup, when and if Fantasea comes out with the housing! :D

With the SeaLife DC1000 in external flash mode we have gotten the shutter lag down to .1 sec. remove the preflash and sync'd with our Digital Pro Flash which has an auto setting.

Comes down to what you are willing to spend.

FYI I shoot a DSLR on land but use the DC1000 while diving.

I have used the Sea&Sea cameras and the shutter lag is very small. What you see in the lcd screen is the pic you get. You don't have to anticipate where the fish will be after you push the shutter button. A DSLR had no shutter lag but does come with a price tag. The cost of a decent rig compared with my Sea&Sea DX-1G will several thousands more.

Just my thoughts.

Regards.

Bill

PS: The newly released or soon to be released Canon SX200IS has a 28mm lens, a 3" monitor and manual controls. The only problem is there is no housing for it at this time. Ikelite may, and hopefully will make one. Canon will likely not because the camera has a pop-up flash. I think that camera in an Ike housing with a Sea & Sea YS110 Alpha strobe is sweet and will be around $1000. for all.

It's out.

That's a pretty sweet camera... might be my next, if Ikelite make a housing for it. (currently listed as "under consideration") Doesn't look like Canon's making one, since it's not listed on the accessories tab. Tough to choose between that and the G10, though. It'll be interesting to see how well that lens works in a housing, or if there are issues. Shame no hot shoe, though... no TTL there. Also interesting to see what WA options there will be.

Back
Top Bottom