P.A.D.I. Drug Testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some shops test, I know of one locally that does. If you ask me, its a good idea, diver instructors have a lot of responsibility and using drugs is an abuse of the student and shops trust.

Tell the shop owner what happened and that you want a refund. The owner will most likely be happy to give you back your money and send you on your way, and also boot the instructor, since their exposure for liability would be nothing short of phenominal. Unless you have some personal axe to grind, I wouldn't bother with PADI. It's like complaining to McDonalds that your burger was cold. If you want to make it stick, it would take lots of up-close-and-personal involvement that really wouldn't get you anything.
newtodiving:
Does PADI perform random drug testing on their certified instructors? During my training to become an open water diver, my instructor left the class and went to his van and was smoking. When he got back, his eyes were glassy and bloodshot and he smelled of marijuana.

Troll. :cwmddd:

wedivebc:
I am sure that is not the case here in Canada and I doubt it would be the case in the US. Reporting suspected drug use is everyones duty and should not fall under fear of reprisal.

Suspected?

I wouldn't mind fingers preemptively pointing at others quite so much if I didn't suspect where else they may have recently been stuck...

There could of course be a wide gap between where I suspect your finger has been, and your knowledge of the facts. I feel it my doody to point that out.

And report the instructor to his dive centre, if applicable. It would be the dive centre that would be doing any drug testing.

Instructors and dive masters are not employed by PADI (or SSI or NAUI etc). They are certified by those agencies and hired by dive shops (or work independently). The agencies provide the training materials, standards and trainers...

I would have to agree that this not a PADI responsibility although the instructor should be expeled if it is true. It is definitely a matter for the dive shop to handle.

Back
Top Bottom