Ozone: Causes and Latex Degradation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
My new DC drysuit manual says to keep the suit away from water heaters to prevent ozone creation which causes latex degradation.

I have a diving equipment room I built in my garage, and to keep it above freezing I use an electric space heater, which goes on and off depending on how cold it is. I called DC and asked if this would create ozone and harm my DS, and they didn't know.

Any thoughts about ozone creation in general and how my space heater might effect my new DS?

Ozone is a gas (three Oxygen molecules), so one option is to bag your suit in an airtight storage bag. Lots of things in our homes generate ozone: Televisions, electric motors (furnace/ac, dishwasher, washer/dryer,) and especially anything high-voltage (electric welders and bug zappers come to mind). I'm still trying to find the optimal storage location for mine.

I'd get one of those heavy vinyl airtight bags for storing blankets/clothes. I'm sure that would work great. If you don't have airtight storage I'm sure that as long as your garage has good ventilation it would be fine.

-Ben M.

As noted above Ozone is created largely by electric motors, but plasma works fine as well. A correctly working consumer device like a TV or some such does not make much, there's no exposed arc in it.

There are 3 common methods of producing ozone.
1. Hot Spark
2. Ultraviolet light
3. Cold Plasma

The spark is what you'll find most in homes, but some people have UV as well. There are some other air cleaners and smoke removers that create lots of ozone by the way.

Ozone is created by sparks. Electric motors produce many tiny sparks that are ozone sources. I'd expect the space heater to cause small amounts when turning on or off the way a hair dryer does, and if it has a fan the motor in the fan may generate some.

I don't think it would be a problem in a garage where you get significant airflow.

Rick Inman:
My new DC drysuit manual says to keep the suit away from water heaters to prevent ozone creation which causes latex degradation.

I have a diving equipment room I built in my garage, and to keep it above freezing I use an electric space heater, which goes on and off depending on how cold it is. I called DC and asked if this would create ozone and harm my DS, and they didn't know.

Any thoughts about ozone creation in general and how my space heater might effect my new DS?

Ozone is oxygen existing in a molecule consisting of three oxygen atoms (O3) rather than the usual two atoms (O2). It is a highly reactive oxidant and very unstable. When it comes into contact with materials such as rubber it will cause them to harden break down and deteriorate rapidly. When produced, O3 tends to break down into O2 very quickly. For equipment to be affected by an increased concentration of ozone, it would have to be in close proximity to the source of the O3.

At sea level, ozone is ordinarily produced in one of two ways. Ozone is produced when high energy electrical discharges travel through air such as in a lightening strike or in an electrostatic air cleaner. It is also produced by the reaction of nitrogen oxides and volatile organic compounds in the presence of heat or sunlight. Ozone can be produced in this manner in a gas burning appliance such as a gas water heater. However, nearly all of the gasses from a water heater combustion chamber go up the flue. An electric heater would not be expected to produce any measurable O3.

I would be more concerned with the adverse effects of petroleum products, pesticides and other chemicals that might be stored in the garage.

jonnythan:
Ozone is created by sparks. Electric motors produce many tiny sparks that are ozone sources. I'd expect the space heater to cause small amounts when turning on or off the way a hair dryer does, and if it has a fan the motor in the fan may generate some.

Only electric motors with commutators produce sparks in normal operation. These motors are either DC motors or what are called "universal" motors. Examples of universal motors would be the motors used in electric drills or vacuum cleaners. Fan motors used in heaters are induction motors and do not produce sparks or ozone in normal operation. The amount of ozone produced when a switch or relay sparks is so small as to be virtually non-existent.

If you have an old fridge (with R-11 or R-12 refrigerant), just put one in your garage and hit it with a wrench until there is a small leak. The chlorine atoms in the refrigerant will bust up the ozone molecules and leave you with nice, pure oxygen. Just don't tell the cops............................................................................................................................. and by the way, I'm just kidding.

As far as Dry Suit storage goes, I think I would be more concerned with the air tight bag idea. Any moisture in the air or on the suit might have a tendency to generate mold or rot especially over extended times. I think a cool, dark, and dry well vented storage cabinet is the way to go.

So do electric Hot H2O heaters have sparks/ozone? I can see something happening on gas. Any thoughts?

cummings 66 and CaptDale, any other electrically knowledgable folks,
Would a portable radiator type (oil filled) heater used in an enclosed bathroom to dry the suit, be ozone free? What WOULD be the the best solution?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom