Ozone: Causes and Latex Degradation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I don't believe the heater you describe would cause problems what I would be concerned about is the humidity. Water of course won't dry right away and you'll probably run into mildew and mold issues.

I store my drysuit in my bedroom closet. One of the reasons you want to avoid heaters is not because of ozone production but because it will get the rubber hot and eventually you will end up with dry rot. You want to store them in an area that's not going to experience rapid changes in temp and one that doesn't get hot air flowing over it, i.e. in front of a heat register. You also don't want it stored in an area exposed to bright lights such as your windows. UV is pretty hard on rubber.

Ozone affects the glue that attaches the seals and boots to your suit more than the actual suit itself. I rinse my suit in fresh water, hang it to dry and then roll it up in the bag it came in once it's dry. I store in my spare bedroom and I've never had a problem with it.

Electric water heaters do not produce ozone at all, as the resistance to electrical movement is what causes the submerged elements to become hot. There are no sparks created by the heating element, and I know of no precautions for spark hazards in the T-stats advised by GAMA which is the Gas Appliance Manufacturers Assoc which still has their nose in electric water heaters. Electric space heaters also use electrical resistance to heat the elements.

The suggestion to plastic bag seal the suit was the best and most cost effective. Talc the seals before bagging. Heat is really detrimental to latex seals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom