Ozark Mountain Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tabasco1955:
You say it's a cold water dive, I'm "assuming" a 5 mil farmer john is sufficient?

I think it depends on the time of the year. It is spring fed so it never gets warmer than about 70 at the surface and it drops into the 40's once you start through the thermoclines. I would probably wear at lease a 5 mil full suit, but I don't know how your cold tolerance is. I know that they require you to follow all cold water dive rules regardless of the time of year. The last time we were there in october, some of the other divers were surprised that we were only wearing 5 mil suits. They were all in 7 and 9 mil suits.

Andrew

Tabasco1955:
You say it's a cold water dive, I'm "assuming" a 5 mil farmer john is sufficient?

Yeah, if you are used to it it should be enough. I dove their last summer with a 3 mil full suit with my 2 mil shorty over the top and hood. You won't be able to hit 100' or anything, but I saw plenty, and actually did 4 dives that day! I will be going back as soon as I get dry suit certified though, b/c it wasn't the most comfortable, and I want to get a little deeper this time. I think my max depth was 46' or something.

kent_1848:
Yeah, if you are used to it it should be enough. I dove their last summer with a 3 mil full suit with my 2 mil shorty over the top and hood. You won't be able to hit 100' or anything, but I saw plenty, and actually did 4 dives that day! I will be going back as soon as I get dry suit certified though, b/c it wasn't the most comfortable, and I want to get a little deeper this time. I think my max depth was 46' or something.

I may go ahead and get my dry suit certification this Summer myself, sounds like it may come in handy. I guess I will try Oronogo this Summer even though I would really like to get a little deeper than 46'.

I see you have a Costa Rica countdown going, where are you going there? Planning on some diving while you are there? I am thinking about a Costa Rica trip this Summer myself but I haven't done much research on the diving there yet.

Mike

Tabasco1955:
I may go ahead and get my dry suit certification this Summer myself, sounds like it may come in handy. I guess I will try Oronogo this Summer even though I would really like to get a little deeper than 46'.

I see you have a Costa Rica countdown going, where are you going there? Planning on some diving while you are there? I am thinking about a Costa Rica trip this Summer myself but I haven't done much research on the diving there yet.

Mike

Yep, probably 10 dives or more, (must do night diving). Want to dive the Cat & Bat islands as well. There are 6 of us (only 5 divers) leaving KC on July 29th & flying into Liberia. Staying in Playa Del Coco, although we don't know where for sure yet. Diving with Rich Coast Diving. richcoastdiving.com From everything that I have found, everyone says to make sure and find time to do other things as well, b/c there is so much to see and do. We are only diving in the mornings, leaving all the afternoons free to explore or just beach bum. We aren't very organized, but we did all get plane tickets already :)

kent_1848:
Yep, probably 10 dives or more, (must do night diving). Want to dive the Cat & Bat islands as well. There are 6 of us (only 5 divers) leaving KC on July 29th & flying into Liberia. Staying in Playa Del Coco, although we don't know where for sure yet. Diving with Rich Coast Diving. richcoastdiving.com From everything that I have found, everyone says to make sure and find time to do other things as well, b/c there is so much to see and do. We are only diving in the mornings, leaving all the afternoons free to explore or just beach bum. We aren't very organized, but we did all get plane tickets already :)

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check into it. We have some friends who moved down there about 1 1/2 years ago, we (the old lady) are going down to visit and hopefully we (I) can work some diving in there someplace! They opened a bed & breakfast which would be perfect except for the fact that they are located somewhere inland which would rule out my diving so I guess we will try to stay somewhere along the coast and meet our friends somewhere in the middle. Not sure when we are going to try to go yet but I imagine it will be early Summer. I just got back from Cozumel in January, we did 2 dives each morning which left the afternoon and evening open for sightseeing but it still didn't seem like much time to really get out and see the coutryside. Well, enjoy your trip and give us a report when you get back!

Mike

Tabasco1955:
Thanks for the info, I'll have to check into it. We have some friends who moved down there about 1 1/2 years ago, we (the old lady) are going down to visit and hopefully we (I) can work some diving in there someplace! They opened a bed & breakfast which would be perfect except for the fact that they are located somewhere inland which would rule out my diving so I guess we will try to stay somewhere along the coast and meet our friends somewhere in the middle. Not sure when we are going to try to go yet but I imagine it will be early Summer. I just got back from Cozumel in January, we did 2 dives each morning which left the afternoon and evening open for sightseeing but it still didn't seem like much time to really get out and see the coutryside. Well, enjoy your trip and give us a report when you get back!

Mike

Actually, we are most likely going to be staying at a B&B on the Pacific Coast. Villa Flores, I think is the name of it. A whole week of diving, breakfast, room, and a pool with a swim-up bar :) for $450. We don't like all inclusives b/c we like to get out and see some local restaraunts etc.

in reguards to oronogo, a group of us are going this weekend to get our owd, i emailed the owner, he states that the water is 50' with 20 ft viz. i have a 5mm 2 peice wet suit, ill let you know how it was.

pete v:
in reguards to oronogo, a group of us are going this weekend to get our owd, i emailed the owner, he states that the water is 50' with 20 ft viz. i have a 5mm 2 peice wet suit, ill let you know how it was.

The feedback would be appreciated, good luck with your checkout dives!

Mike

pete v:

50 degrees, BRRRRRRRRRRR...I hope you have a nice warm hood, cold water gloves & you don't have to go too deep. The training platform was at 20' last fall, and that wasn't too bad, but then again, last fall the water was 70 degrees at the surface. Captain John thought I was nuts last year when I went in with anything less than a 7mm suit. Have FUN :wink:

Tabasco1955:
i did my o/w class there this past weekend, the water was 50* at the surface and at the thermocline was 44-46*. i had a 5mm famer john and i was very comfortable as long as i was moving. this vis was poor, 10-maybe 15'. i have heard that the large caverns have poor viz also. the staff was helpful and watch out for walker the dog. hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom