Oxygen poisoning seizure > how to react ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So get a Drager strap instead of the AP one? And OK to use with a DSV?
Fine with the DSV and the mouthpiece is so much more comfy (it's a lot softer) than the one that comes with the JJ, even though that is also from Drager.

I haven't seen the newer AP one but I understand it's much improved from the old one which was no better than using a mask strap and a few o-rings.

Also the Drager ones aren't easy to source now, at least here in the UK. Paul Haynes told me that they're only selling to the military now. I bought mine from Martin at Tecme in Germany.

Narked@90 sell something that looks good, see HERE and that looks a lot like the rEvo one. But see above about that as @Wibble reckons the rEvo strap is not easy to remove over the head.

Sits behind the head the way I wear it. This does mean it's relatively simple to push down and roll out of the mouth when bailing out, but it's harder to pull it over your face as it's pulled towards the mask unless you pull the strap up or loosen it off.

Of course I could be using it wrongly, putting it more behind my neck than over my mask strap.

It goes without saying that anyone who's processes are to remove the loop in a hurry to get to a hose underneath would have practiced that manoever to be slick, probably using both hands.

But now you mention it, may play with putting the strap on the crown of my head to pull the mouthpiece up a bit, especially when scootering.

Does look like the Revo mouthpiece. Question: what's the size of the mouthpiece -- the Revo one's definitely larger than a 'standard' regulator mouthpiece.

Fine with the DSV and the mouthpiece is so much more comfy (it's a lot softer) than the one that comes with the JJ, even though that is also from Drager.

I haven't seen the newer AP one but I understand it's much improved from the old one which was no better than using a mask strap and a few o-rings.

Also the Drager ones aren't easy to source now, at least here in the UK. Paul Haynes told me that they're only selling to the military now. I bought mine from Martin at Tecme in Germany.

Narked@90 sell something that looks good, see HERE and that looks a lot like the rEvo one. But see above about that as @Wibble reckons the rEvo strap is not easy to remove over the head.
Awesome, thanks so much!

Does this look like the Drager that I should get, or would you go with the Narked@90 one?

The new AP one looks very comfy... anyone know if there is any reason it wouldn't work on a JJ?

That Tecme one is what I bought - genuine Drager

Gotcha... It's comfortable, huh? I guess the only thing about the AP one is that it's about half the price and it looks like it has a pretty wide strap (like a mask slap strap). Wonder if anyone has any experience with it?

I ditched my BOV when I sold my old analog JJ. I often dive hypoxic diluent and the idea of bailing to that on the surface scares the **** out of me. Also, the work of breathing of just about every BOV is hopeless at depth. The JJ BOV was woeful, even after I did some serious mods to it.
How hypoxic? And why would you plug a BOV into diluent anyway? Mine goes to offboard BO. While I occasionally use a pretty hypoxic BO, for 99% of my diving it's 15/55 or less/shallower gas and I have no problem if an OC or CCR buddy (or me) switches to that.

A gag strap on a DSV is "ok" but as your own incident points out, you aren't likely to be in a position to actually make your own loop breathable after a tox event. So once you do come around you need to be bailed out and the groggier you are the higher the risk of aspiration switching. And if a buddy is helping with that process of loosening the gag strap and switching you there's a risk of the gag strap dislodging your mask strap which for a semi-alert patient would be pretty bad news.

A gag strap on a DSV is "ok" but as your own incident points out, you aren't likely to be in a position to actually make your own loop breathable after a tox event. So once you do come around you need to be bailed out and the groggier you are the higher the risk of aspiration switching. And if a buddy is helping with that process of loosening the gag strap and switching you there's a risk of the gag strap dislodging your mask strap which for a semi-alert patient would be pretty bad news.

I don't think that trying to do a mouthpiece switch for any significantly impaired diver (even if they are technically "conscious") is a good idea.

I show everyone my ADV, and tell them that if anything looks off and If I'm not responding, to hold the loop in place and hit that button. Yeah, there are buoyancy issues to manage with that, but it might salvage a bad situation, and fresh breathable gas might make the difference between conscious/unresponsive and being awake enough to help with your own rescue...

I don't think that trying to do a mouthpiece switch for any significantly impaired diver (even if they are technically "conscious") is a good idea.

I show everyone my ADV, and tell them that if anything looks off and If I'm not responding, to hold the loop in place and hit that button. Yeah, there are buoyancy issues to manage with that, but it might salvage a bad situation, and fresh breathable gas might make the difference between conscious/unresponsive and being awake enough to help with your own rescue...
  1. You tox at depth
  2. the DSV is held in nicely by the gag strap
  3. they dil flush you as they keep you in position and stabilize you
  4. you come round and are semi conscious, as @nickbutcher points out, it could be quite some time before you are lucid.
So now what?

The loop isnt really breathable in the long term and they are in no position to remedy that. If they try to switch, you are quite likely to aspirate. If they don't switch you, your loop could very well go hypoxic on ascent and present your rescuers with another issue.

How hypoxic? And why would you plug a BOV into diluent anyway? Mine goes to offboard BO. While I occasionally use a pretty hypoxic BO, for 99% of my diving it's 15/55 or less/shallower gas and I have no problem if an OC or CCR buddy (or me) switches to that.

10/70 hypoxic. I'm not happy to breathe that on the surface for any length of time and even take precautions not to inhale it through the ADV until I'm on my way down.

I'm not changing the way I dive to suit whatever diluent I happen to have. It caters for what I COULD have.

Does it matter where the BOV is plugged into? If it's offboard, it's still the same/similar gas unless you add the clusterf*ck of gas blocks and switching.

The gag strap is more to stop you inspiring water and drowning rather than worrying about wtf you're breathing.

As I said, the mask strap goes under my hood.

None of this is a perfect solution but what I do works for me and the gag strap adds a massive level of comfort to my everyday diving regardless of the miniscule possibility that it would prevent me from drowning.

1. You tox at depth
  2. the DSV is held in nicely by the gag strap
  3. they dil flush you as they keep you in position and stabilize you
  4. you come round and are semi conscious, as @nickbutcher points out, it could be quite some time before you are lucid.
So now what?

The loop isnt really breathable in the long term and they are in no position to remedy that. If they try to switch, you are quite likely to aspirate. If they don't switch you, your loop could very well go hypoxic on ascent and present your rescuers with another issue.
I don't see how any of this scenario is different if you have a BOV in your mouth, aside from adding even more complexity for your potential rescuer(s). Unless I'm missing something?

EDIT: I almost always dive alone, so this is all a bit academic really :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom