Oxygen CNS% accumulation debt/ PO2 / repetitive diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iainwilliams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi - I have a question (well several questions interwined) regarding partial pressure of oxygen, EAN mixes and repetitive diving. I have seperated them for ease of reading (I hope).

(1) We know that the NOAA CNS % exposure table recommends a maximum PO2 of 1.6 atmospheres. We also know that EAN mixes have been calculated on the basis of equivalent air depth (EAD), and NOT the PO2 100% which at 1.6 atmospheres is 6m / 20 feet. (NOTE: I prefer to use 1.4 for conservatism)

(2) QUESTION: If I use an EAN mix above (less than) 1.6 atmospheres (say 1.4 atmosheres to be safer) on a no decompression dive, well within EAN32 or EAN36 table limits, then at the safety stop (5-4 m) decide to breath 100% O2 for say 5-10 minutes to outgas N2; will I be risking a lowering of CNS tolerance and possible convulsion? I know what CNS% level I am from the mix, depth and bottom time (from the table or computer) – but will the extra 100% oxygen increase my CNS too much at the safety stop?

(3) Furthermore, will this intake of 100% O2 add to my CNS debt at the surface during my surface interval, if I decide to do a repetitive dive? I’m sure it will - but by exactly how long? How can I calculate the extra uptake to the exisiting CNS accumulation from the dive?

(3-a) If I am using nitrox tables, say EAN32 in the above scenario, how should I calculate my surface time interval? How much do I add for the extra accumulated O2 at 4 m? Or is the added CNS debt acquired from my 100% oxygen spell at 4 m hardly worth the worry? My opinion is that it should be added and remain a constant during the surface interval for added safety . What about moving up into the next bracket on the NITROX surface table as a fudge factor?

(5) I know that I can do a dive on normal air, swim to the safety stop and outgas on 100% oxygen at 4 m (I do this regularly to offset against the chance of DCS). If I am planning a repetitive dive on AIR after a surface interval, do I have to take into account the small CNS uptake I accumulated at 4 m 100% ) O2 from my previous dive? Obviously, I will outgassing at 4 m again on 100% O2 from the second dive.

I hope this all makes sense. Thank you. Iain

:confused:

Originally posted by iainwilliams
QUESTION: If I use an EAN mix above (less than) 1.6 atmospheres (say 1.4 atmosheres to be safer) on a no decompression dive, well within EAN32 or EAN36 table limits, then at the safety stop (5-4 m) decide to breath 100% O2 for say 5-10 minutes to outgas N2; will I be risking a lowering of CNS tolerance and possible convulsion? I know what CNS% level I am from the mix, depth and bottom time (from the table or computer) – but will the extra 100% oxygen increase my CNS too much at the safety stop?

I often use 100% oxygen from 6 metres, bearing in mind the theoretical CNS clock is still ticking! That is the important consideration from my point of view. If you simply keep your total CNS exposure within the NOAA limits I fail to see how you can go wrong.;-Add up your exposures for each and every stage of the dive.

Furthermore, will this intake of 100% O2 add to my CNS debt at the surface during my surface interval, if I decide to do a repetitive dive? I’m sure it will - but by exactly how long? How can I calculate the extra uptake to the exisiting CNS accumulation from the dive?

The NOAA CNS tables expect you to do this.

My opinion is that it should be added and remain a constant during the surface interval for added safety . What about moving up into the next bracket on the NITROX surface table as a fudge factor?

I personally think the former is more sensible as the NOAA CNS tables are very conservative.

If I am planning a repetitive dive on AIR after a surface interval, do I have to take into account the small CNS uptake I accumulated (at 4 m 100% ) O2 from my previous dive? Obviously, I will outgassing at 4 m again on 100% O2 from the second dive.

As I understand it, this is precisely what the NOAA tables expect you to do, Iain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom