Oxygen Cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bburns24

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My TDI manual says use simple green.

I'm in Mexico and have found a supplier - it might be difficult to purchase a small amount.

What we do have is a home depot and 505 degreaser - Can I use 505 to clean my tanks (steel) and valves?

Thanks

Last edited:
There are several kinds of 505 degreasers according to a google search. Some of them are dangerous in the air supply, not to mention oxygen. The only degreaser which would be suitable is ENSOLV, expensive and probably not available except by shipment from the USA. Some divers clean tanks with Dawn detergent, rinse, drip dry and forced air dry. Various methods include placing a few pounds of marbles or stones in the tank, filling and capping, then rolling around the yard or on a tumbler. The more ardent cleaners follow up with anti rust chemicals or phosphoric acid in a repeat process. The most hazardous condition is probably grease on the neck threads and a toothbrush is sometimes used with the detergent method. Not necessary with ENSOLV. Simple Green is basically junk. I never liked the stuff but some endorse it. Nowadays, there is some kind of "blue gold" detergent sold by Global but I have no experience with. Tech divers would know all about it. Posting this query under "tanks" would bring plenty or responses.

Just about any kitchen detergent, dishwashing (sink, not machine) or alkaline "tough job" cleaners (kitchen because they are made with the assumption they may be accidently ingested and used around stoves and are as a result usually non-toxic and non-flammable, unlike purely industrial or "garage" cleaners) will do the trick in a pinch. The secret is how well you use it, and how thoroughly you rinse it out afterwards. If you are unsure of the product, rinse it more aggressively.

You can't expect any solvent or detergent to really O2 clean without help (though Pesky may contradict me here). Brush, whip or tumble as required. For tanks, make a rinsing and drying rack to hold the tank inverted while you run hot water up into it.

I think people waste a lot too much time looking for the perfect cleaner for O2 when there are many that will work fine. If you are cleaning hundreds of tanks in a commercial setting, then you need something optimum. Otherwise, it just isn't that big a deal.

Thought this would be the best place to post this.

My TDI manual says use simple green.

I'm in Mexico and have found a supplier - it might be difficult to purchase a small amount.

What we do have is a home depot and 505 degreaser - Can I use 505 to clean my tanks (steel) and valves?

Thanks

Last edited:
About solvents; ENSOLV is expensive but it is a truly superior degreaser, and approved for oxygen systems. If the inside of your tank looks like an old car engine, yes, ENSOLV will need some help, put in the rocks and roll, baby. However, if your tank has normal crud, like smears of silicone on the neck threads, no elbow grease is required. Pour a quart of ENSOLV into the tank, tape up the neck and slosh around for a couple minutes. Drain the ENSOLV into a container, cap it and use later for general purposes other than O2 cleaning. Invert tank and blow out fumes with compressed air, or just leave tank uncapped overnight. I don't recommend sniffing the fumes away as this stuff is EPA approved which takes something away from the buzz.

I used hot water and a toothbrush - not wanting to risk using the 505 after reading Pesadors original message. I looked inside and the old steels looked new (although I did find some detergent looking substance in one... was able to remove easily) I cleaned the treads. I soaked and cleaned the valves using elbow grease, pure mechanical removal, dried best I could using air and left for the evening. This morning I Halogreased and reattached the valves. I'll be filling the tanks tomorrow and using. You'll hear if it doesn't go well.

One of my 13cu/ft looks dirty. Don't know why... I have an exact duplicate that is 100% o2 dedictated and it is spotless (except for two tiny burn marks on the inside bottom??) I'll have them VIPed ASAP along with the steels. My brand new Catalina 80 - removed cap installed valve.

Thoughts?

Burns, sounds good to me. I presume that the valves, except the new valve, were disassembled before soaking and cleaning. If one of the small aluminum tanks is "dirty" it might bear investigating but only if oxygen is to be pumped into it. The appearance might be due to a number of things, oxidation seems likely. Can't say from here.

Do you really mean you used just hot water, that is to say, no detergent at all?

If so, I don't think anyone would consider a tank O2 clean, that has been cleaned with just hot water. You got to use some sort of cleaning agent, be it detergent of solvent, that will reliably remove any grease or oil, and hold it in suspension while you flush it out of the tank.

Personally, I would rather use any random kitchen detergent, than no detergent at all.

The situation was I removed the valves to travel. I thought I would do what I could before simply replacing them. After looking at the alumium 13 I won't be partial pressure filling it until cleaning.

I did disassemle the valve.

The detergent looking substance was dissimilar metal corrosion from using anodized aluminum DIN plugs inside the Genesis plated brass valves. I've changed the plugs to Delrin haven't had a problem since but think this was the cause.

After this experience I'm looking to take a course, can you recommend an agency? My TDI manual is for oxygen clean systems (cascade) I'm looking for something that will allow me to do cleaning and give vis's.

Last edited:
Recommended cleaners for Oxygen cleaning are Naval Oxygen Cleaner (NOC) or Trisodium Phosphate (TSP). NOC is what the Navy uses on all of its oxygen systems, but will be harder to find for the average Joe. TSP can be found in your hardware store in the paint department. Buy the powered stuff and mix it yourself. TSP is supposed to be used at 170 degrees Farenheight, NOC is to be used at 160 degrees. Use rinse water that is the same temperature as the detergent mix. For small parts, an ultrasonic cleaner is the way to go.

There are six steps to oxygen cleaning and no short cuts.

1.Dismantling equipment completely
2.Inspection and gross cleaning
3.Pre cleaning and rinsing
4.Cleaning, rinsing and drying
5.Inspection and testing for clean
6.Reassembling, packaging and labeling

I would recommend you obtain some literature on the steps involved in oxygen cleaning...

Here is one you can download for cheap...

http://www.envirodive.com/gas_blender_manual.html

Joy dish washing soap is approved for oxygen cleaning per Luxfer.

I used Crystal Simple Green this spring to O2-clean all of my tanks/parts, but I recently heard that tank manufacturers do not want Simple Green used to clean their tanks.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Back
Top Bottom