Oxygen Cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Among the soaps, Joy has been popular with divers for 35 years. Originally, it was carried on boats for divers doing salt water baths. Interesting to hear that Luxfer likes it, too. I did not mention Joy specifically for tank cleaning because I do not clean tanks with soap or stuff like trisodium phosphate which, being a powerful industrial chemical used for concrete cleaning, can burn or irritate the person's skin. Wear gloves to be sure. In bygone days, the stuff was a constituent of detergent soaps but eliminated because of adverse environmental effects.

Recommended cleaners for Oxygen cleaning are Naval Oxygen Cleaner (NOC) or Trisodium Phosphate (TSP). NOC is what the Navy uses on all of its oxygen systems, but will be harder to find for the average Joe. TSP can be found in your hardware store in the paint department. Buy the powered stuff and mix it yourself. TSP is supposed to be used at 170 degrees Farenheight, NOC is to be used at 160 degrees. Use rinse water that is the same temperature as the detergent mix. For small parts, an ultrasonic cleaner is the way to go.

There are six steps to oxygen cleaning and no short cuts.
Scuba Duck is right on the money here.

The issue of O2 cleaning is obviously to prevent a fire and explosion while filling and using the cylinders. This obviously means the O2 cleaning process must remove ALL possible fuel sources, to include grease, compressor oil and organic material (lint, dust, etc.)

Years ago, we switched to TSP after watching a demonstration of how much oil is left behind after a typical O2 cleaning is done with regular detergent and agitation. The entire process was done in front of us. Trust me, it's a huge amount of oil left behind, after what we thought was a thorough oxygen cleaning.

Now you could probably get away with many years of trouble free filling just using a common dish soap, but it was a chance we just weren't willing to take, which is why we made the switch.

Ah, those demonstrations on late night TV, gotta love them. I know that the FTC does. Funny thing is, even after removing TSP from their formulae, those dang detergents still clean pretty well. I've got the dishpan hands to prove it.

I have always used TSP (salts) in hot water , hot fresh water rinse, & Simple green, with hot water rinse & dry in my O2 cleaning process.

Mike D

We always used simple green for tank cleaning. For cleaning tool kits and such to go into a chamber we ran them through the dishwasher twice.

...Years ago, we switched to TSP after watching a demonstration of how much oil is left behind after a typical O2 cleaning is done with regular detergent and agitation. The entire process was done in front of us. Trust me, it's a huge amount of oil left behind, after what we thought was a thorough oxygen cleaning.....

How did you see how much oil is left behind? UV light wand?

Back
Top Bottom