Oxycheq Vertex vs Halcyon Evolve vs DSS Torus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron:
The wing either works properly in the situation or it doesn't and wordplay isn't going to make it change. The simple fact is that multiple people have claimed to have a minor problem with the Torus when using AL tanks, problems that I at least haven't had with an Evolve or Vertex.

That's entirely possible, no wing will be perfect with every type of tank, for every diver in every environment. There are ways to adjust ones trim weighting to compensate for less than perfect combos. I've offered several, each of which you have dismissed.

You have now claimed that you are overweighted in a 6 lbs SS plate, but are also overweighted in a Aluminum plate. Which is it? Both?

With AL 80's it's hard to imagine how one could be overweighted with a lightweight plate in salt water.

Apparently without ever trying the configuration you know that switching to a lightweight plate from a 6 lbs SS plate would have little impact on your trim, remarkable.

Tobin

PerroneFord:
I tried out my Torus 45 today with both 104s and 108s.

From all appearances it seems the Torus 45 is excellent with tanks that tend to be a bit butt heavy. But for tanks that float a bit butt light, or neutral, they tend to require a small or significant amount of counterweight.

It is typical for divers in moderate to cold water to wear a weight belt, that puts more ballast low on the body. Consider the opposite condition, if you are butt heavy, but need a weight belt, what are your options for adding weight up high?

Thanks for the feedback Perrone, good luck with your class.

Regards,

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Apparently without ever trying the configuration you know that switching to a lightweight plate from a 6 lbs SS plate would have little impact on your trim, remarkable.

Tobin
Yet another assumption. I never said that and the opposite is true. Changing from one plate to a lighter did not have an effect on my trim, using plain doubles or doubles with deco. Adding tail weights where the weight itself is not needed is a suboptimal solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

Halthron... perhaps this is a matter of semantics but are you saying that you are overweighted at the beginning of your dive by the weight of the gas in your cylinders but have no more weight than is required to hold your stop when your cylinders are nearly empty.

Is it at the beginning of the dive when your double Al80s are full and you have to put air in the wing to counter the weight of the gas that the problem with the Torus arises? If this is so, then it doesn't sound like the Torus is the wing to use with Al80s.

Perrone... what the heck are you doin' divin' steels in a wetsuit? :11:

Stephen,

Man, you had to ask didn't you! :)

Diving steel tanks in a wetsuit is not strictly a bad thing. But one has to be careful about the scenario it is done. I certainly don't recommend it.

In my case, the exposure suit would dictate that I wore about 15-18 pounds of weight on a belt to sink. By wearing steel tanks that give me about 18 pounds of negative buyoyancy when empty, I am actually going to be a tad light at the end of my dives. At the beginning, I am only heavy by the amount of gas in the tanks, which is about 10-12 pounds. Or roughly what I would be if I was wearing my AL80s with a weightbelt.

Additionally, I am working over a hard, reasonably shallow bottom, and could exit these sites if my wing failed. Max depths will be 3-4 ata, suit compression will not be a huge factor, etc.

Nothing here is being done haphazardly.

PerroneFord:
Diving steel tanks in a wetsuit is not strictly a bad thing.

Ahh... you're one of those guys. I see. :D

Halthron:
Yet another assumption. I never said that and the opposite is true. Changing from one plate to a lighter did not have an effect on my trim, using plain doubles or doubles with deco. Adding tail weights where the weight itself is not needed is a suboptimal solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

I've asked this question before. Are you now saying you tried the Torus with both a 6 lbs SS plate and an OMS alumunum plate, and that there was no difference?

Pretty simple question, no assumptions.

Tobin

Patrick:
The Vertex 42 will be coming out soon. It is obviously more streamlined than our 55.

Best regards,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq
http://oxycheq.com

I have used a 45# horseshoe on my doubles for several years and have resisted the new oval-designs. But I am re-thinkin' things now that I have started overhead.

I suspect my next wing will be the Vertex 42. With that in mind, we need pictures and we want the little flappy thing left off the new Vertex!

I suspect my next wing will be the Vertex 42. With that in mind, we need pictures and we want the little flappy thing left off the new Vertex!

The more information the better for us. More pictures (inflated, deflated) and more measurements; deflated and inflated dimensions, max width, max length, actual lift (while rigged to tanks and plate, and when not), and whatever else you can think of.

I'm not a fan of the flappy thing either, or the corrugated hose loop on H wings, but at least those are easy to cut off. Big bright text or letters are another thing. But then again, I'm always hesitant to cut anything off in case I decide to sell the wing later on.

Stephen Ash:
Halthron... perhaps this is a matter of semantics but are you saying that you are overweighted at the beginning of your dive by the weight of the gas in your cylinders but have no more weight than is required to hold your stop when your cylinders are nearly empty.

Is it at the beginning of the dive when your double Al80s are full and you have to put air in the wing to counter the weight of the gas that the problem with the Torus arises? If this is so, then it doesn't sound like the Torus is the wing to use with Al80s.
When my cylinders are almost empty, I'm fine (with the AL plate). That doesn't happen unless the poo hits the fan though. By design, at the end of my dives I am overweighted by the unused gas reserve, which can be significant on some dives.
cool_hardware52:
I've asked this question before. Are you now saying you tried the Torus with both a 6 lbs SS plate and an OMS alumunum plate, and that there was no difference?

Pretty simple question, no assumptions.

Tobin
I have previously tried an AL plate with the double AL80s and remained overweighted. The wing I used with the AL plate was not yours. Are you saying that your wing works with some plates and not with others?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom